Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Theres a Saturday porsche run this weekend

Anything less than Tassie is too small for me now. :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

That's a tremendous effort.

Any more thoughts on the car?

It's just fantastic. It was a big ask for a track-biased car to go touring but I looked forward to jumping back in the car every day. It feels shunty and coarse to chug around town in but the drivetrain comes together at speed. As a tourer, it suffers a bit for having limited suspension travel, but I didn't care. It's never harsh, just firm. It's much too loud and boomy (for me anyway) on a long trip but my Bose earphones fixed that. The car feels completely honest - no tricks, no frills - and every control moves like a rifle bolt.

I stayed at the Desert Cave at Coober Pedy last night. If you haven't seem this place you should. It's the work of an obsessive mind, like most good things. Having visited most of the towns between Adelaide and Darwin, CP is the weirdest and therefore the best.

Regarding the drive today, the first bit out of CP early in the day is smooth and barren. Then there's a stretch with some flora, but then it goes arid again before Pimba. There's the world's longest straight road running into Port Augusta but someone had come to grief last night anyway - a freshly dead roo, some skid marks and an upturned wreck on the other side of the road.  It's a reminder of the hazards of outback travel. I had a safe run but it isn't guaranteed.  Overall though, the road north is a wonderful adventure and a driving experience like no other. I can't wait to go back.

Offline mtarone

It's just fantastic. It was a big ask for a track-biased car to go touring but I looked forward to every day. It feels shunty and coarse to chug around town in but the drivetrain comes together at speed. As a tourer, it suffers a bit for having limited suspension travel, but I didn't care. It's never harsh, just firm. It's much too loud and boomy (for me anyway) on a long trip but my Bose earphones fixed that. The car feels completely honest - no tricks, no frills - and every control moves like a rifle bolt.

It certainly seems more versatile that I ever thought it would be. A strong contender for Tassie later this year no doubt, although I suspect the Speciale will get the Guernsey for that trip. :)

Must compare it with the Carrera some time.

I've driven the road between Port Augusta and Glendambo many times. Just need to watch out for animals in the morning and early evenings.

Offline app

Sounds like a great experience, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I would love to do an Adelaide to Darwin trip one day, although I couldn't do it in the wrong car :o

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Sounds like a great experience, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I would love to do an Adelaide to Darwin trip one day, although I couldn't do it in the wrong car :o

Thanks for rounding up the oil, app.  I put it to good use too. 

The trip was a dream run. Unless they had cameras hidden in the bushes somewhere.  :o

That reminds me - I nearly overtook a police car yesterday between Erldunda and Kulgera. Those who know this (130km/h limited) stretch know it is very tempting.  I'd just overtaken a few caravans when I noticed the car up ahead had a big aerial on the rear bumper. Throwing out all anchors, I shadowed it into to town at a respectable distance.  That could have been interesting. :eek:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
my Bose earphones fixed that.

Where'd you buy them? Best price I've found so  far is $299.99

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Where'd you buy them? Best price I've found so  far is $299.99

Apple Store. I think they cost me $399.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Thanks for rounding up the oil, app.  I put it to good use too. 

Didn't the Darwin dealer fix that up while stored?