Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Death stats.

Just looking at the road deaths on SA roads for 2012 and noticed a high proportion of older drivers joining the ranks. The average age was 54 years for road deaths in 2012. How old am I next year?  :scared: What did surprise me was how many old people die on the roads each year.

66 deaths year to date is still a small sample except for the families concerned.

Children
17-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
51-55
56-60
61-65
66-70
71-75
76-80
81-85
86-90
91-95
96-100

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

In saying the average age of those killed is 54, you are using the mean average which isn't statistically relevant.  The median average is where you should look.  And the 66 deaths aren't all drivers.  Several of the aged deaths particularly are pedestrians and passengers.

The stats are interesting but as you say, the small sample size doesn't allow us to infer much.  The injury stats are probably more useful, being larger.

Numbers of drivers in each age group and average distance driven are equally important stats.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Reduce the road toll.

Drive on the footpath.

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Recent research has found that people in South Australia are most likely to die in an accident at the age of 40 involving poisoning rather than falling, drowning or choking. Figures suggest accidental poisoning and choking deaths are more likely in South Australia than anywhere else in the country.

Insurance company Suncorp Life analysed Bureau of Statistics data from 2008 for people aged up to 74 to find that road fatalities accounted for 109 deaths. However 62 people died from poisoning, 21 fell, 11 drowned and 11 choked.
Suncorp Life chief executive Geoff Summerhayes said, “Self-medicating, overdosing, inhaling toxic substances at home and in the workplace are all incidences contributing to the statistic.”

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Looks simple to me, don't drive until you're 96, at which point you are immortal.

Offline TomE

Gopher on a Highway  :scared:

23 February 2012
Last Updated by SAPOL on Mar 7
FATALITY 11: 89-year-old man deceased.
TYPE: Truck versus motorised wheelchair (gopher)
LOCATION: Jubilee Highway West, 150 metres west of Victoria Terrace
DATE: 23 February 2012
TIME: 0905hrs
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Gopher on a Highway  :scared:

It sounds weirder than it is.  That's right in the middle of Mt Gambier.

Ouch though.  :eek:

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I have never seen a demographic statistic of risk of death/injury/accident per km or hour travelled.
It would be interesting to split that male/female, old/young, sensible car/sports car etc.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Death stats.

Just looking at the road deaths on SA roads for 2012 and noticed a high proportion of older drivers joining the ranks. The average age was 54 years for road deaths in 2012. How old am I next year?  :scared: What did surprise me was how many old people die on the roads each year.

66 deaths year to date is still a small sample except for the families concerned.

I read an article "somewhere"a couple of years ago about 50 year old guys buying a motorbike.
Many had bikes when they were younger and could now afford something like a Harley (yuk) :confused:
The death rate in them was extremely high.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Recent research has found that people in South Australia are most likely to die in an accident at the age of 40 involving poisoning rather than falling, drowning or choking. Figures suggest accidental poisoning and choking deaths are more likely in South Australia than anywhere else in the country.

Insurance company Suncorp Life analysed Bureau of Statistics data from 2008 for people aged up to 74 to find that road fatalities accounted for 109 deaths. However 62 people died from poisoning, 21 fell, 11 drowned and 11 choked.
Suncorp Life chief executive Geoff Summerhayes said, “Self-medicating, overdosing, inhaling toxic substances at home and in the workplace are all incidences contributing to the statistic.”

Ummm does this mean

1. Restaurants in SA need to improve their standards?
2. SA residents are all junkies?
3. SA residents are so stupid they can't read the label?
4. SA residents don't reconnise the word "Poison" they think it means FISH?
5. SA residents need a food taster to test their wifes cooking?

:mischief: