Offline 265T

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24954897-5006301,00.html

Drivers, cyclists fines blitz over 99 new road rules

AMY NOONAN, DOUG ROBERTSON

January 24, 2009 12:30am

UNSUSPECTING motorists and road users face a raft of new and revised on-the-spot fines from tomorrow.
Police will immediately enforce the 99 amendments made to the Australian Road Rules when they are adopted by South Australia at midnight tonight.

The changes to the SA Road Traffic Regulations 1999 create new infringements, including more stringent rules for cyclists, and make existing rules more specific.

The changes were printed in the South Australian Government Gazette on September 25 last year. However, neither the Government nor police have further publicised the changes.

A police spokesman said it was a motorist's responsibility to keep up to date with road rules.

It will now be an offence to:

DRIVE with a person or animal on your lap $95 fine.

RIDE a motorcycle with an animal on the petrol tank $95 fine.

TAKE children under the age of eight as pillion passengers on a motorcycle $83 fine.

RIDE a motorcycle and sidecar with the passenger not seated safely, with $83 fines applying for both rider and passenger.

RUN a red light on a bicycle $231 fine.

DRIVE on a safety ramp or arrester bed to avoid a hand-held stop sign $231 fine.

MAKE a U-turn across certain dividing lines $248 fine.

DRIVE in a tramway $158.

STOP on a painted road island $54.

The Advertiser's review of the amended laws also reveal fines exist for several obscure practices.

A driver, and now also a passenger, in or on a motor vehicle leading an animal can be hit with a $60 fine. A cyclist leading an animal can be fined $25.

Police traffic support branch Superintendent Mark Fairney said the overwhelming message from the changes was "good drivers just drive".

"The bottom line is, driving is a huge responsibility," he said.

One of the law changes, relating to the use of fog lights, already has sparked debate among motorists and road safety experts.

While the rules have been changed to allow the use of fog lights during adverse weather conditions such as fog, heavy rain, dust and smoke, motorists using fog lights in clear conditions could face a $160 fine.

Fog lights are defined as a pair of white or yellow low-beam lights operated independently of headlights at the front of the vehicle and not reflecting into the driver's eyes, and a red light of less than 27 watts at the rear of the vehicle.

Road safety experts have long encouraged motorists to use headlights during the day and night when driving on country roads.

A Motor Accident Commission spokesman also said it was important to switch on headlights while driving on country roads.

"The Motor Accident Commission supports the voluntary `lights on' programs that run in country SA which encourage the use of low-beam headlights during the day to improve visibility for oncoming traffic," he said.

"Fog lights should only be used at low speeds in poor driving conditions."

Supt Fairney said the new rules would make things clearer.

"This legislation should end the danger of being blinded by oncoming traffic," he said.

"We've all had the experience of being blinded by oncoming lights while driving and this legislation should reduce that."

RAA road traffic and safety manager Rita Excell said the organisation had spent five years canvassing for change on fog lights.

"This is about clearing up when you can and can't use fog laps so drivers can't say they didn't know they couldn't use them," she said.

Allen Renfrey has clocked up 4.8 million kilometres driving trucks and taxis around Adelaide for the past 49 years and welcomed the fog lights ban.

"It's the best thing since sliced bread. You don't need fog lamps in the metropolitan area," he said.

"I find them very irritating when you're driving towards them, they're worse than having lights on high beam.

"If you're driving a low car, like a small coupe, and there's a four-wheel-drive behind you with its lights on they shine right in the back window. It's dangerous and it's stupid."

But Ford Falcon driver Robyn Ricks said more light was better.

"I drive around with all the lights on (at night)," Ms Ricks said.

"Fog lights give you more visibility and they're a wider light (spread) at the front."

Offline dkabab

DRIVE on a safety ramp or arrester bed to avoid a hand-held stop sign $231 fine.

huh?

A cyclist leading an animal can be fined $25.

seriously.... could we get any more policed....  :doh:

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Life is getting more and more boring.

The above reminds me of the movie "Demolition Man" where you can't do anything without being fined.

It never ceases to amaze me how Hollywood seems to predict the future.

On that note, I do look forward to Sigourney Weaver saving me. :D

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

I reckon any driver who takes out a cyclist that rides without lights on in the dark should be given 3 point. Those fuchers deserve a good smack in the head...

Offline CortinaD

Offline waz356

seriously.... could we get any more policed....  :doh:

the motorist (or government cash cow) gets slugged again.  :thumbsdown:

bring on the revolution.

Offline app

Looks like I'll have to start switching the fog lights off. I always liked to have them on, I reckon it makes cars look better at night.

I got pulled over by the cops a while back and he told me to switch them off as they were lights separate from the headlights, so I guess the rules haven't really changed. Most of the rules on there, I thought had always been around.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Looks like I'll have to start switching the fog lights off. I always liked to have them on, I reckon it makes cars look better at night.

I got pulled over by the cops a while back and he told me to switch them off as they were lights separate from the headlights, so I guess the rules haven't really changed. Most of the rules on there, I thought had always been around.

They're fog lights. use them to help you see the edge of the road...........in FOG :thumbsup:

If it's not foggy, don't fkn use them.

The intensity and separation is NOT designed for clear visibility use. They produce glare.

They're not "look at me" lights...

If you want better visibility, use your dip beam headlamps...

In many cases, you can't even put your front fogs on until the rear fog is on.... eg UK cars (check your 328 pp).

Although, here in Oz, it's not legislated to even have rear fog lamps.  :confused:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter

In many cases, you can't even put your front fogs on until the rear fog is on.... eg UK cars (check your 328 pp).

yup