Offline mlaw909

I am going to be in Europe later on in the year, and will be spending some time in Italy, Spain and Portugal.  Anyone recommend where to go for some good driving?  I know read about the Stelvio Pass, is it that good or is it over rated?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
What car you doing it in?
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Keepleft

• Name: Old and cranky
NB - AS AT 2008-9:
Warning triangle to UNECE 27R, one per car mandatory (domestically Spain mandates two, but this does not apply to visiting vehicles).  Basically a Euro triangle, you can buy them in AUS for as little at $9.95 at hardware or Auto parts places.  An Australian Standard triangle is NOT to quality.

Two High-Vis safety vests are to be kept INSIDE the cabin.  Specification EN471.  You can buy these for as little as $4.95 here in OZ.  German rules dictate that in zones 90km/h and over that you MUST wear the vest BEFORE stepping from the car.  Other less-safety focussed EU states- they simply enforce the EU Transport Division 'directive' to have the pair.

In case your taking an AUS made car OS.  If so, also add a rear fog lamp.

On the autobahn, unrestricted lengths, if clear - do NOT "keep middle" as you do in Australia on our freeway roads, routinely use the RH lane (that'd be left in AUS) moving the the middle lane to pass.
BUY A 'Euro' SPEC HAZARD-WARNING TRIANGLE FOR YOUR CAR - FOR USE AT BREAKDOWNS AND CRASH SCENES

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

if taking a RHD car you also have to change your headlights position so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

The triangle in some Euro countries has to be kept inside the cabin as well, not just the high visibility vests.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Keepleft

• Name: Old and cranky
if taking a RHD car you also have to change your headlights position so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

The triangle in some Euro countries has to be kept inside the cabin as well, not just the high visibility vests.

BUY A 'Euro' SPEC HAZARD-WARNING TRIANGLE FOR YOUR CAR - FOR USE AT BREAKDOWNS AND CRASH SCENES

Offline mlaw909

I think i'll be hiring or leasing a car - I won't need one for most of the trip as i'll be working in the cities, but I would love to get out and see some of the countries I am in.

Offline phils89

• Drives: Audi S3
You are going to be in Italy?  This is one of my favourite countries to drive in and there are some great places to drive, you should definitely go for the Stelvio Pass which has something like 60 hairpin bends up and down the mountain.  The road is amazing and the view is awesome, though don't go when it is the tourist season as it gets so busy.   If you are looking to do it in style you should look at these guys, who can rent you a ferrari in milan which is not so far away from the pass - you can do it in a day if it is just the driving you are after.  If you are down South though, you should go for Amalfi drive which is stunning and the road kind of winds over the top of the cliffs, but again crazy busy in tourist season.

Offline phils89

• Drives: Audi S3
And if you get a chance, go to the Ferrari Factory at Maranello - i don't think you can do the tour unless you are a Ferrari dealer, but you can go to the Museum and there are also loads of places to rent them from in the area.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

And if you get a chance, go to the Ferrari Factory at Maranello - i don't think you can do the tour unless you are a Ferrari dealer, but you can go to the Museum and there are also loads of places to rent them from in the area.

You can do the tours if you book them in advance, also there is another tour which applies if you own a Ferrari and Ferrari Australia sends the request to Italy on your behalf, sometimes including a lap around their test track.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline adam01

Anyone looking for a 2-3 hrs short trip before/after visiting the exotic factories around mondena