Offline hummel

Gents,

I'm heading to Tasmania in a few weeks for a short holiday with the missus, taking the car over etc..

I was hoping some of you could give me some tips on good roads to cruise along, nice scenery etc. More than happy to cover quite a few hundred km's a day so any suggestions would be great! It's my own lap of tassie  ;)

Cheers

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Sure, happy to help.

First things first, leave your missus at the quarantine station as you come off the ferry.  Then head across the top until you reach Burnie and then turn left on the Murchison Highway.  Head for Strahan and then for Hobart.  Since you probably can't actually leave your best girl in Devonport, you'll be struggling to get her to agree to more corners beyond Hobart, but if you can persuade her, put Poatina in your sat nav and then Cethana.  Finish off with a quick squirt to Cradle Mountain Lodge and then back to Devonport.

HTH

Offline hummel

Sure, happy to help.

First things first, leave your missus at the quarantine station as you come off the ferry.  Then head across the top until you reach Burnie and then turn left on the Murchison Highway.  Head for Strahan and then for Hobart.  Since you probably can't actually leave your best girl in Devonport, you'll be struggling to get her to agree to more corners beyond Hobart, but if you can persuade her, put Poatina in your sat nav and then Cethana.  Finish off with a quick squirt to Cradle Mountain Lodge and then back to Devonport.

HTH

Thanks very much, much apprecaited. I've plugged into Google maps and it looks quite a good little tour.

Luckily for me, the missus actively encourages this kind of thing... we're not going to New Zealand and are instead doing a driving tour of Tassie... I suppose I can't complain!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Done it as pax in a bunch of sports cars and loved it.

Done it driving a Hi-Ace pop-top campervan with a gf and loved it.

Tassie is hard to go wrong with as far as a driving holiday goes, there's a few boring hours of cruising if you go up the highway from Hobart to Launceston/Devonport, otherwise 99% of the roads are a fantastic adventure.  Taking a girl with you she'll love the east coast (something we haven't done on the AE tours), Freycinet to St Helens you could easily spend a week just relaxing.

Definitely take a detour through the south-west Deliverance country - but don't plan on staying, it's a bit scary :eek:  However the roads and views around Queenstown, Zeehan and Roseberry are sensational, also there's loads of fantastic little niche places amongst the logging areas to explore, some great landscapes to park near and just go spelunking for a couple hours, and some hidden waterfalls and stuff that are just awesome to stumble upon rather than visit as a tourist destination.

If I had one piece of advice about touring Tasmania, it would just to be don't have a destination, just drive and explore and enjoy, and when it starts getting dark find a place to stay for the night.  Rinse, repeat.

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

...the east coast (something we haven't done on the AE tours), Freycinet to St Helens you could easily spend a week just relaxing.
Agree. Did a 2 week drive of Tassie back in the late 90s. East coast is stunning.
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.