Offline 265T

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/formula-one-ace-lewis-hamilton-has-car-impounded-under-anti-hoon-laws/story-e6frea8c-1225846207344

Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton has car impounded under anti-hoon laws

* March 27, 2010 12:08AM

FORMER Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton was caught hoon driving and had his car impounded last night.

The English McLaren driver did a burnout and a fishtail in a 2010 silver Mercedes along Lakeside Drive in front of a Victoria Police divisional van, that pulled him over.

He will be charged on summons with improper use of a vehicle. The sports car was towed to a police yard in Raglan St in Preston, where it will be held for 48 hours under anti-hoon laws.

The divisional van saw Hamilton turn into the street with smoking wheels and pulled him over.

Senior Constable Scott Woodford said the 2008 world champion stopped right away and was "extremely co-operative".

It would have been fair to say he was fairly disappointed with the incident," he said.

Hamilton was interviewed for around half an hour in the car, and would have been routinely breath-tested.

Hamilton, who was visibly upset, had his car towed away and impounded and will also receive a fine.

It is understood he told policemen at the scene that he was worried this would dent his reputation.

The Herald Sun understands that he was not taken back the police station for questioning.

The incident happened at around 9.15pm  last night.

In 2007, Hamilton was banned from driving in France after being clocked driving at 123mp/h (around 200km/h).

He was given an on-the-fine and his sports car was impounded by French police.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
$500 fine - he lost more money in the time it took to write the apology note.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/magistrate-calls-formula-one-driver-lewis-hamilton-a-hoon-fined-mercedes-star-500-for-post-grand-prix-burnout/story-e6frf7jo-1225909318338

FORMULA One ace Lewis Hamilton has been branded a "hoon" and fined $500 over a post-Grand Prix burnout.

The British driver was not in court but apologised in a letter for his "momentary lapse of judgement".

Hamilton, 25, pleaded guilty to improper use of a vehicle after police saw him do a burnout as he left the Albert Park grand prix track in March.

Hamilton was turning from Lakeside Drive into Fitzroy St, St Kilda, when he fishtailed and caused a loud screech in a 2010 Mercedes sedan.

The car was impounded under hoon laws.

A Melbourne Magistrate said this morning that Hamilton was a role model and should have known better.

"This is about somebody in a responsible position behaving like a hoon," Magistrate Clive Alsop said.

The court heard Hamilton was ashamed and remorseful.

In his written apology to the court, he said he was passionate about road safety and realised he was a role model.

"I made a mistake in Melbourne which I sincerely regret," he wrote.

"I want to continue in my work promoting road safety and sincerely hope the events on the night of 26 March will not damage the message which I have been giving."

Mr Alsop said Hamilton's knowledge and skills put the onus on him to act responsibly, but it was his first offence and he had pleaded guilty as soon as possible.

He fined Hamilton the maxiumum available, $500.

No conviction was recorded.

Offline Richie

• I need Lambo drugs...

• Drives: my wife crazy
don't think he wrote that.... it had to be written by his PR team... and signed by him during his breakfast...

Offline Mr Enzo

don't think he wrote that.... it had to be written by his PR team... and signed by him during his breakfast...

hahaha Agreed there, these guys don't give to shit's about it.
Batti il ferro quando caldo.
Strike when the iron is hot.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
he should have sent $5k, and said " I did nine others in the vicinity that I wish to be taken into consideration"

:tilt:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

He makes 16m EU ($22M) per annum, and he's an F1 driver , lifes tough.

I'm speechless.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
He makes 16m EU ($22M) per annum, and he's an F1 driver , lifes tough.

I'm speechless.

he could have turned up for the hearing and charged them an appearance fee