Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Let's save roads of interest here and we can link them up later.

Peter Robinson says this is a good way to enter Austria from Germany.

http://goo.gl/maps/woyPu

Offline mtarone

Roughly speaking, are you thinking of Frankfurt -> Munich -> Alps back to Frankfurt?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I disagree with entering Austria via the motorway section from Munich-rosenhiem-kuffstein, that is a very very boring way to enter, if you guys have just driven 800 or so kilometres from Hamburg on unlimited German autobahn the last thing you want to do is drive from Munich into Austria on an autobahn that is speed limited from 100-130kph or on a major B road that has speed limit of 80-100kph, especially in spring or summer. The side roads around the autobahn generally have tractors on them and a zillion push bikes and small mopeds.

Mhh 2 posts above starts off good from Munich but most of that route is just rolling countryside, don't think it is what you guys would call interesting driving. A better way is to head south from Munich and head towards Bad Tölz or towards Weissee. Then from there head to Achensee in Austria and meet the motorway at Jenbach.

Alternatively from Munich head west towards Stuttgart, make your way to Füssen (Füßen) and drive past Neuschwanstein or however it's spelt and head towards Lermoos and meet the motorway in Austria at Imst. Basically in the Austrian alps there is one major motorway that runs east to west, deviate anywhere from the motorway and head up some mountains and you will find great driving roads.

There are some awesome roads behind Wattens and on the southern side of Innsbruck that head up towards the ski fields of Judenstein, patscherkoffe and  Stubai Gletcher. There are great roads as you head towards the Italian border near Solden in the Ötztal valley ( this is where Ötzi the frozen caveman was found).
Depending on your insurance with the rentals I can not stress driving into northern Italy enough.

When was this trip happening again?
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Sorry I thought coming from hamburg for some reason, if coming from Frankfurt the above is still relevant, except it will be much less than 800km to Munich

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
if u fellas want to see BMW Museum too - let me know dates and names and I'll try and get u "BMW Club members' " tour.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

you coming?

If I have the smallest window of opportunity I'll be there. But it's not looking promising at the moment depending on dates.

Also forgot one of my favourite stretches of road, crossing from Austria at Kötschach to Sutrio in Italy to Ovaro.    Look the route up and you'll all creme yourselves. Unfortunately it's in Italy and if you are renting it is harder to get insurance, although that road would be good in any car, even in a fiat panda.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Best of all, a speeding fine in Austria for 20kph and under is only €25 on the spot fine.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

If I have the smallest window of opportunity I'll be there. But it's not looking promising at the moment depending on dates.

Also forgot one of my favourite stretches of road, crossing from Austria at Kötschach to Sutrio in Italy to Ovaro.    Look the route up and you'll all creme yourselves. Unfortunately it's in Italy and if you are renting it is harder to get insurance, although that road would be good in any car, even in a fiat panda.

Thanks for your input.  I'll try to map some of your suggestions.  We are in Germany from about Sept 12 with exact driving dates to be worked out.  I wouldn't mind sneaking into Italy to do the Stelvio Pass at least.  It is so close to the border I'm sure Avis wouldn't mind. ;)

Here's the road you suggested. 

http://goo.gl/maps/lU6V8

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

http://goo.gl/maps/lU6V8

Close,but I meant the road "SP123" that goes over the mountain instead of around.