Offline M500

I am driving to Melbourne for the Anzac day match between Essendon and Collingwood at the MCG on Anzac day then picking up my wife and daughter from a friend's place to drive home along the GOR in the X6. I place to do it lesurely over 3 or 4 days.

Does anybody have any suggestions for nice places to stay, any detours I should take to enjoy the drive and any advice in terms of what "not to miss".

Thanks

Offline 98octane

Driving detour

I really like this drive:

Lorne > Deans Marsh > Birregurra-Forrest Rd > Skene's Creek > Apollo Bay > Cape Otway > Lavers Hill > Beech Forest > Mt Sabine > Skene's Creek > Lorne

~250km of never-ending twisting roads through breathtaking rainforest, farmlands and seaside driving.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=lorne,+victoria&daddr=deans+marsh,+victoria+to:birregurra+forrest+road,+victoria+to:skenes+creek+to:cape+otway+to:lavers+hill+to:beech+forest+to:skenes+creek+to:Lorne+Victoria&geocode=&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=-38.665675,143.53157&sspn=0.251449,0.44014&ie=UTF8&ll=-38.593261,143.584442&spn=0.503407,0.88028&t=h&z=10

Highlights: Birregurra to Skene's Creek and Apollo Bay to Lorne.

Cape Otway leg is optional, but it's worth it if you have the time.  I also highly recommend bringing a picnic to Glenaire (where the Aire River meets the ocean), or just buy a meat pie at Lavers Hill.

The Beech Forest to Mt Sabine leg is so twisty and tight that it's a 20km/hr zone for the whole way!  It passes through very beautiful, dripping wet rainforest so there's also a lot of leaves, bark and water on the road, making it quite slippery.  But, apart from the road (and the occasional logging truck ) this place is pristine and well worth the effort.

Offline 98octane

If you're going to do it in 3-4 days, perhaps stop at:
Day 1.  Lorne or Apollo Bay
Day 2.  Portland
Day 3.  Robe or somewhere else in SA

I love Lorne - but then I'm biased.  It's less than 2 hours from Melbourne, but there's lots to see and do nearby.

On the way to Lorne,
*  hire a kayak/canoe at Angelsea
*  check out Split Point Lighthouse at Aireys Inlet
*  go to the beach anywhere between Torquay and Lorne - some top surfing spots there. 

At Lorne
*  go for a rainforest walk to one of the many waterfalls, such as Erskine Falls
*  have a glass of wine/beer at the Lorne pub beer garden in late afternoon/sunset with a view out over the coast and ocean
*  get a fantastic burger at The Bottle of Milk in Lorne
*  coffee/breakfast at Kaos in Lorne
*  buy fresh fish at the pier
*  have an extended gourmet lunch at Sunnybrae, Birregurra
*  lunch/afternoon tea at Qdos art gallery just behind Lorne
*  take photos of exotic cars on Mountjoy Parade and post on AE  :cool:

Beyond Lorne
*  Visit Cape Otway Lighthouse
*  Otway Fly
*  More waterfalls: http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/objectid.00032BC7-75CE-1A5E-88CD80C476A90318/
*  12 Apostles near Pt Campbell

I don't know much about far western Vic, but probably lots to do there too.

Offline M500

Thanks guys

Lorne was definately on my list to do, but all those little things lik the twisty 20kph section of drive and the various waterfalls and places to eat/ drink are really helpfull. Its really frustrating when you visit a place and dont think much of it becuase you cant/ dont bother to find out what makes the place special.

Keep em comming  :thumbsup:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

any advice in terms of what "not to miss".

Thanks

Don't miss the cop with a laser in a Land Cruiser near Skene's Creek.  I had a near death experience - but was lucky enough to get an early warning.

Offline 98octane

Don't miss the cop with a laser in a Land Cruiser near Skene's Creek.  I had a near death experience - but was lucky enough to get an early warning.

+1  I had a similar experience once with g/f in car.  She was probably the reason I was allowed to drive home.    :tilt:

There are also often lasers in the 60kph section through Anglesea and through Kennet River and Wye River.

Offline M500

+1  I had a similar experience once with g/f in car.  She was probably the reason I was allowed to drive home.    :tilt:

There are also often lasers in the 60kph section through Anglesea and through Kennet River and Wye River.

Thanks guys, those resident cops tend to not like us city folk racing through their roads.

Has anyone got any suggetions as to where to stay along the way? Dont mind paying as long as it is nice.

Offline Cuso

Has anyone got any suggetions as to where to stay along the way? Dont mind paying as long as it is nice.

I can highly recommend Annesley House (http://www.annesleyhouse.com.au/) in Portland, wife and I stayed there for New Years Eve beautifully restored 1870's building, only 5 rooms.