Offline barra

Hi
I have been lurking for a long time but this is my first post.
My name is John and I'm wanting to buy my first Italian sportscar, probably a Ferrari 360.
I called heaps of insurance companies including just cars, shannons, nrma, Sami, allianz, gio, lumleys, dawes, vigil and an insurance broker.
Aami were the only people to offer me a full comp policy at $5600 year.  I would rather choice of repairer and not be restricted to aussie delivered only etc but beggers cant be choosers.

I then saw a lambo I am keen on and called to see if I could get a policy on it.  Not only did they refuse but they also said whoever did my quote for the 360 made a mistake and they canceled the quote.

So now I'm stuck.  I really want to get something soon and am seriously considering a 3rd party only policy and taking my chances.

I know there is at least 1 other 23 year old on here, kutjok, any ideas?

Can anyone help?

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Hi
I have been lurking for a long time but this is my first post.
My name is John and I'm wanting to buy my first Italian sportscar, probably a Ferrari 360.
I called heaps of insurance companies including just cars, shannons, nrma, Sami, allianz, gio, lumleys, dawes, vigil and an insurance broker.
Aami were the only people to offer me a full comp policy at $5600 year.  I would rather choice of repairer and not be restricted to aussie delivered only etc but beggers cant be choosers.

I then saw a lambo I am keen on and called to see if I could get a policy on it.  Not only did they refuse but they also said whoever did my quote for the 360 made a mistake and they canceled the quote.

So now I'm stuck.  I really want to get something soon and am seriously considering a 3rd party only policy and taking my chances.

I know there is at least 1 other 23 year old on here, kutjok, any ideas?

Can anyone help?
I do know a few people who have a policy of their car under their parents name and be an additional nominated driver on the policy.......not sure if it's legal but it sounds as though you may have no other choice apart from waiting until your 25 or 30  :?
Pretty risky just having just 3rd party, but thats just me I guess :)

Good luck with it though :thumbsup:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

3rd Party on an Exotic??????

Not a good idea. I was involved in arranging a smash repair not long ago that was between a fairly high end car and a sheep.

Repair bill was north of $40k.   

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

If the car is in the name of an older realtive ie: father then you can go on the policy as an extra driver, not sure if you'll get away with it but it's worth a phone call to ask if it's possible and what the cost will be.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I just got it through AAMI as I was too young for Shannons, Can't remember the prices now but it was done 100% through them, however it is an Australian delivered car not an import. It also helped to have 5 other cars already with AAMI and a slight threat to take all my business away from them if I didn't get insurance for the 360 lol.

It is legal to insure it under your parents name if they own the car and have you as a nominated driver, it generally ends up cheaper that way. my dad takes my Ferrari from me without telling me so I probably should have just insured it under his name and I could have just been an extra driver under his policy (seeing as he probably drives it more than I do these days lol).

You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

oh i'm 24 now, been 24 for nearly 2 weeks so hopefully when my fez is up for insurance again I don't get rejected.

Still have no accidents under my belt, have been caught sppeding once and got suspended for 3 months, and got booked in a transit lane. Other than that nothing else makes me special for getting insurance

Offline barra

Thanks for all the input.

Aami advised that their underwriters policy is nothing valued over 100k for under 25's and nothing over 250k for under 30's, so you've done well kutjok.

During lengthy discussions with the guys at the shannons office they said that mid engined Italians are too aggressive but they could offer a policy if I got a v8 m3 or a 996 or similar 911.

I think I might see if they will give me a policy for a v8 vantage and settle for that for now.

Anymore ideas?

John

Offline a.taylor

Not much that i can contribute other than to say that $5600 for comprehensive cover on a 360 definatley sounds like a mistake. I pay almost $5k for comprehensive on my M3 with a maximum no claim bonus. That said i didn't have any issue getting it. I am also 23 and thats with NRMA.

Offline dkabab

do you use "barra" on other forums?

anyway instead of just calling around, go and see their office or get one of their guys to come see you.... when you call a retail shop, do you think you get the best deal over the phone?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Not much that i can contribute other than to say that $5600 for comprehensive cover on a 360 definatley sounds like a mistake. I pay almost $5k for comprehensive on my M3 with a maximum no claim bonus. That said i didn't have any issue getting it. I am also 23 and thats with NRMA.

I'm about $1000 cheaper than your insurance with the 360 spider and it's insured for $250k
Thanks for all the input.

Aami advised that their underwriters policy is nothing valued over 100k for under 25's and nothing over 250k for under 30's, so you've done well kutjok.

During lengthy discussions with the guys at the shannons office they said that mid engined Italians are too aggressive but they could offer a policy if I got a v8 m3 or a 996 or similar 911.

They are talking shit, I spoke to a guy in their Melbourne office about getting them to cover my 360, their Sydney office originally gave me that spill that they can't do it, then I got in contact with Melbourne and it was all sweet. I'm going to have to get another policy done for another car valued nearly as much as my 360 (which is a mid engined Italian aswell)so we'll see how it all goes in the next couple of days, i'll let you know if it's successful or not and how I got it if I end up getting covered.

What a stupid comment though "mid-engined Italians are too agressive" what knob jockeys