Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
My old Arai is dead since the pads aren't replaceable.

What should I look for in a new helmet for the occasional track day (other than renewable padding :rolleyes:)?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
My old Arai is dead since the pads aren't replaceable.

What should I look for in a new helmet for the occasional track day (other than renewable padding :rolleyes:)?

fit is probably the most important thing. they're all going to have to meet AS whatever it is anyway.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Yes familiar with the standards from my motorcycling days (I loved the Standards Australia line of "If you don't need a head, you don't need a helmet" :thumbsup:), so I was more thinking of "features".

Offline Aircon

Yes familiar with the standards from my motorcycling days (I loved the Standards Australia line of "If you don't need a head, you don't need a helmet" :thumbsup:), so I was more thinking of "features".

just for a car? doesn't seem important. i like a tinted visor though, so if it's sunny i just pull it down 2/3 of the way.

Offline CortinaD

I would be replacing the entire helmet every few years anyway but I would still purchase one with removable padding so you can wash it.

When I have bought my last 2 helmets I went with the lightest fullfaced one I could find that fitted. The first one (AGV) was a quick release strap but after using it for a while it didn't feel safe so with my new helmet I went with the old faithful double loops.

I have a HJC AC-12 Carbon now, I like it. It is light, has perforated lining so it gives great ventilation and fits my noggin perfectly.

Offline dkabab

whats the difference between full face and open in a car. are open face helmets banned in some sorts of motorsport?

i can see the reasons for it on a motorbike but do you NEED a full face helmet in a car?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline j15

whats the difference between full face and open in a car. are open face helmets banned in some sorts of motorsport?

i can see the reasons for it on a motorbike but do you NEED a full face helmet in a car?

If you have a serious enough accident you can still sustain facial injuries in an open face helmet by banging your face into some derbis or the steering wheel, roll cage, etc. Full face just eliminates that risk.

Better safe than sorry, you know.

Offline dkabab

If you have a serious enough accident you can still sustain facial injuries in an open face helmet by banging your face into some derbis or the steering wheel, roll cage, etc. Full face just eliminates that risk.

Better safe than sorry, you know.

like a tree branch... i guess so. actually now i think about it, wasnt brocky's accident and death increased by an open face helmet

Offline Aircon

like a tree branch... i guess so. actually now i think about it, wasnt brocky's accident and death increased by an open face helmet

so many lines...so little time.