Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Do we have an insurance thread?  I have a challenge....

With teenagers of driving age in the household, I'm forced to consider a new criterion when choosing the next family transport , namely whether the car be driven by a young driver (L and/or P plate without voiding the comprehensive insurance policy.  I'm thinking this is a more severe limitation than the new licencing rules forbidding high-powered cars being driven by young drivers. You can always claim "hardship" :o :p if junior on a P plate can't drive some twin turbo rocketship but the insurance company isn't unlikely to buy this.  There isn't much point in buying a hilariously fast family car that the kids can't drive - sadly.

So, what we need is to find the highest powered car that can still be comprehensively insured with a young driver at the wheel.  No guesses please - only hard evidence accepted such as a policy statement. Our current E500 wagon is OK so I'm thinking there must be some other V8s that will also be suitable. 

Offline adam01

So, what we need is to find the highest powered car that can still be comprehensively insured with a young driver at the wheel.  No guesses please - only hard evidence accepted such as a policy statement. Our current E500 wagon is OK so I'm thinking there must be some other V8s that will also be suitable.

What are the benchmarks for highest powered?

Fastest 0-100kph (insurance  legal) ?

Offline CortinaD

Off topic a bit but whats the reasoning? Wouldn't it be better to buy them some safe insurable beaters to learn in and get the wife the hilariously fast family car? No excuse to drive mums or dads cars then.

My dad/mum wouldn't let me near there cars until I was fully licensed. The only way i drove them was because I broke the Cortina from abusing it and even then I had to steal the keys. And looking back, once I had my license, the days of the family going out together in one car were numbered.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Off topic a bit but whats the reasoning? Wouldn't it be better to buy them some safe insurable beaters to learn in and get the wife the hilariously fast family car? No excuse to drive mums or dads cars then.

My dad/mum wouldn't let me near there cars until I was fully licensed. The only way i drove them was because I broke the Cortina from abusing it and even then I had to steal the keys. And looking back, once I had my license, the days of the family going out together in one car were numbered.

My kids never drive my car, they've got their own BUT it is handy that they can if the need arises.

Offline My Rotarys

• Drives: 1000
Not sure if the rules are the same for SA and VIC, if so this mite come handy to check potential cars. http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrcalc.nsf/pwcalc?OpenForm

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
I always thought that all cars could be insured for anyone and it was just a matter of cost? As long as they aren't the main driver on the policy it should be ok.

Generally, if a performance vehicle is considered a 'family car' and there is no other alternative available then you are permitted to apply for an exemption. So basically make sure you only buy super fast cars and they will have no choice but to offer an exemption.

As for which cars can they drive, how about the Porsche GT3 RS 4.0? 4.0-litre N/A six-cylinder engine -- that's the same as a Ford Falcon engine, Officer. :P

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
A bit busy and cant play right now but Id be looking for something with more torque than big KW so maybe something turbo diesel. I dont know if theres something out that will come out on top as a diesel but its an idea for people having a look. Maybe turbos arent allowed for young drivers, I personally dont know the laws on it.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Yes, only talking occasional use but I'd rather send the kids to Victor in a Benz than a Corolla.  They are girls so not much chance of it being abused.  I'm just looking for the flexibility but recognise that it may not be possible.

Not sure if the rules are the same for SA and VIC, if so this mite come handy to check potential cars. http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrcalc.nsf/pwcalc?OpenForm

Yes, there are limitations on young drivers in SA too (with exemptions) but I'm talking purely about insurance. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I always thought that all cars could be insured for anyone and it was just a matter of cost? As long as they aren't the main driver on the policy it should be ok.

No, some insurance companies insist on approved and named drivers only and won't insure expensive cars at any price unless they are happy with the driver. 

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Yes, only talking occasional use but I'd rather send the kids to Victor in a Benz than a Corolla.  They are girls so not much chance of it being abused.  I'm just looking for the flexibility but recognise that it may not be possible.

Can they drive the benz now??
If so why not just keep it untill they are a bit older and you can replace it with ??? that you want?
Don't shoot me but if my memmory is correct your wife loves the car and if the girls can drive it well win win.
They can drive it
Your wife drives a car she loves
you don't have to fork out any more money and you can put it into another go fast 2 seater