Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Can they drive the benz now??
If so why not just keep it untill they are a bit older and you can replace it with ??? that you want?

Hard to argue with that reasoning. That's probably what I'll do. It's just that I reckon we have another 5+ years of the kids at home and the current car is already 6 years old ( though < 60,000km) plus I'm sick of the sight of it. 

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Hard to argue with that reasoning. That's probably what I'll do. It's just that I reckon we have another 5+ years of the kids at home and the current car is already 6 years old ( though < 60,000km) plus I'm sick of the sight of it.

Well for the $$$ you would spend on the up grade you could put it into an exige and turn that frown upside down

Or sign write the whole car so it looks like another one  :scratchchin:
I have some card board and some coloured markers

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Well for the $$$ you would spend on the up grade you could put it into an exige and turn that frown upside down

Or sign write the whole car so it looks like another one  :scratchchin:
I have some card board and some coloured markers

Camo wrap maybe? :P

After talking to several people it looks like the bottom line is 6 cylinder and turbo diesel are OK but V8 or petrol turbo aren't. 

If the environmentalists don't get you, the safety nazis will.  :doh:

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Camo wrap maybe? :P
It is now safe to do so and Obama or Bush won't be coming after you

If the environmentalists don't get you, the safety nazis will.  :doh:
Go a priass

Offline My Rotarys

• Drives: 1000

Yes, there are limitations on young drivers in SA too (with exemptions) but I'm talking purely about insurance.
Ah ok, try just car insurance, they insure young drivers with high power and modified cars.

http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

When I was on my Ls last year, NRMA insured me for no extra cost (AAMI quoted triple the normal rate), and when I got my Ps, they were willing to insure me on a Chrysler 300C SRT-8, which has an 8 cylinder engine. They also said that if my father wanted, instead of listing me as a driver, he could keep the insurance only under his name. In the event that I had an at-fault accident in the car, we would get the insurance money, however, the accident would count as my father's and go down in his accident history. This would have also prevented me from starting an insurance history for myself. It was actually cheaper to insure me on the Citroen and my father on the SRT than both of us on the Chrysler.

The NRMA lady told me that insurance companies don't care what car is being insured, and/or who will be driving. As a result, don't be surprised at how much insurance can end up costing. In the end, insurance is not your problem, but the vehicle restrictions are.

L platers can drive any passenger vehicle, but P1 and P2 drivers have vehicle restrictions. Since there are some holes in the cold definitions the government provides of "high performance" vehicles (e.g. A P plater can drive a Porsche 911 GT3 RS but not a VW Golf), they have a list for all the vehicles that fall through the gaps: http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/48785/high_performance_list.pdf
As you can see, all Porshes (1994 onwards) are included as "high performance" while certain turbocharged vehicles are excluded.

You have to meet at least one part of the criteria to gain exemption which can be granted if:
Exemption is required for employment purposes (if you run a business, you can list a P plater as an employee)
The provisional licence holder can prove they owned the high powered vehicle prior to 4 September 2010 (not you, the P plater)
The high powered vehicle is the only vehicle available to the provisional licence holder

I think you could utilise the last point, if you or your wife own no cars that are not considered "high performance."
Being a recent L plater, I would strongly advise you to teach your kids the basics of driving in a mildly powered vehicle first, as a new L plater in any car with significant acceleration is an accident waiting to happen.

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
The NRMA lady told me that insurance companies don't care what car is being insured, and/or who will be driving.

good luck with that  :doh:
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

Finish the quote:
As a result, don't be surprised at how much insurance can end up costing.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I think you could utilise the last point, if you or your wife own no cars that are not considered "high performance."

Yes, I thought the same thing. We do own a Fiat 500 but I could claim that daughter can only drive autos and therefore has a choice between a Turbo Porsche, a Ferrari, a V12 Merc or a V8 Merc - and the V8 seems the lesser evil. :p

Offline dkabab

Yes, I thought the same thing. We do own a Fiat 500 but I could claim that daughter can only drive autos and therefore has a choice between a Turbo Porsche, a Ferrari, a V12 Merc or a V8 Merc - and the V8 seems the lesser evil. :p

its almost as if you want her to drive them