Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Down at the Cape on Sunday we got talking about a day trip to KI. A local said there is a big loop around the island that is all bitumen. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anyone know a good lunch stop? 

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Haven't been there for a few years, but the only bitumen I recall has potholes

Offline j15

Down at the Cape on Sunday we got talking about a day trip to KI. A local said there is a big loop around the island that is all bitumen. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anyone know a good lunch stop?

I spent 10 days there two years ago. I don't recall there being loop. Basically you get to the end of a sealed road and either continue on dirt or turn around.

Form the Ferry you can drive straight to remarkable rocks, turn around and drive back again in about 3.5 hours plus sightseeing time. Other than that, there are two sealed road detours which are effectively just one right turn of the main highway:

1. Kingscote - The biggest town, the Pub is alright IIRC, and there's a winery with good food and nice views a short dirt road away up the hill.

2. Stokes Bay - A little bit more scenic, the Bay is fairly nice, but it's otherwise just one caravan park. There is a place called the Rockpool Cafe which was good, but despite being near the beach, I think you only had a view of the car park.

In Penneshaw (where the ferry docks), a woman runs a shop called 2 Birds & a Squid where I has some of the best fish and chips you can hope for.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Tiger

Take the SUV Mark the boat ramp is nasty ;)
Roll on summer

Offline TomE

Playford Highway - East End Highway - South Coast Rd loop was all tar but they are not exactly coastal driving roads.

"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline dkabab

don't remember much twisty stuff.... but if i were you i would take either the bmw or merc.... lots of wildlife down there...

Offline app

don't remember much twisty stuff.... but if i were you i would take either the bmw or merc.... lots of wildlife down there...

Yup, even in the day time.  Last time I went, one car in our group hit a kangaroo that came out of no where on a bright sunny day.  Radiator was rooted, had to tow it back.

I'd say take a car with a bull bar if possible.  Doesn't take much to cark the radiator...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I don't have an SUV nor a car with a bullbar.  I'll just have to brave it.

Offline Tiger

I don't have an SUV nor a car with a bullbar.  I'll just have to brave it.

The roads after Kingscote are not that flash they are a little rough with some pot holes, on a bike itís hard to push over 200k apparently.  Plus the wild life is very active around the black stuff. ;) The boat ramp angle is also an issue at times.
Roll on summer