Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Have I started a thread on this before? Probably, I'm always going on about it, boring others to distraction. In Vegas, in the Porsche showroom while looking at the 918 Spyder, I told mtarone and alvchua that  you could almost make a business case for buying one and keeping it in Europe. They were very supportive of the idea. :p

Unfortunately, now my brain keeps picturing driving journeys in foreign lands. It you take money out of the picture, spending 4 or 5 weeks a year in a fast car (it doesn't need to be a 918) that you can't get in Australia almost makes sense. Apart from the Frankfurt week already organised, there are the historic rallies, Goodwood, Spain during the cooler months, the autobahn, museum touring, Porsche organised tours, Le Mans, Monaco, etc etc. Obviously, it takes time (kids growing up, getting there), energy (still got that but won't have forever) and money (have sufficient but this would be an extravagance, no doubt). I also want to drive across the USA but that would be one big trip I think, whereas Europe is denser with possibilities and seems better suited to 1-2 week forays.

Any others have this fantasy from time to time?

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Bloody good idea. I have always fantasized about picking up a brand new car Oz-spec car in Europe at the factory, driving it around all countries and then shipping back to Oz, run in and ready to go.

NZ is also an option and it means you can drive it a lot more often but it certainly isn't Europe.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Have I started a thread on this before? Probably, I'm always going on about it, boring others to distraction. In Vegas, in the Porsche showroom while looking at the 918 Spyder, I told mtarone and alvchua that  you could almost make a business case for buying one and keeping it in Europe. They were very supportive of the idea. :p

Unfortunately, now my brain keeps picturing driving journeys in foreign lands. It you take money out of the picture, spending 4 or 5 weeks a year in a fast car (it doesn't need to be a 918) that you can't get in Australia almost makes sense. Apart from the Frankfurt week already organised, there are the historic rallies, Goodwood, Spain during the cooler months, the autobahn, museum touring, Porsche organised tours, Le Mans, Monaco, etc etc. Obviously, it takes time (kids growing up, getting there), energy (still got that but won't have forever) and money (have sufficient but this would be an extravagance, no doubt). I also want to drive across the USA but that would be one big trip I think, whereas Europe is denser with possibilities and seems better suited to 1-2 week forays.

Any others have this fantasy from time to time?
Great idea,doing it with a modern car,no issues with repairs as per an old car.

I know a number of guys who have older cars over in the UK as a base ,but the new car would be the way to go if doing big ks.

Such a choice of cars .

Offline dkabab

Obvious choice I think would be a 650s. But if the budget allows, the 918 or a p1 would probably open more doors to events.

I think the ideas great, but where are you going to keep it? I know there are a heap of heated car storage places in London. But not sure on the rest of Europe.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
Obvious choice I think would be a 650s. But if the budget allows, the 918 or a p1 would probably open more doors to events.

I think the ideas great, but where are you going to keep it? I know there are a heap of heated car storage places in London. But not sure on the rest of Europe.

Storage options in Berlin.
http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php

Offline tentacles1

Heard of a 918 available at list price in NZ a few weeks ago, can be exported to anywhere and GST claimed back if you want to take it to Europe etc too.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Quote from: dkabab link=topic=42721.msg1038193#msg1038193 date
but where are you going to keep it?

My instant thought is Monaco.

Then I thought if a Porsche that would need to be kept in Italy and a fez in Stuttgart

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

With the auction results over the last month why not a classic?

Daytona's and Dino's have gone off by about 25% and according to a well known QLD broker,the slide has begun.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm keen on a car not available in Australia but yes a McLaren or Porsche would be good. Some OPC's offer storage but this guy was excellent when I spoke to him a couple of years ago. He can sort reg and insurance which are usually the trickiest areas.

http://www.hamiltonscarstorage.co.uk

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

With the auction results over the last month why not a classic?

Daytona's and Dino's have gone off by about 25% and according to a well known QLD broker,the slide has begun.

if you are going to keep a car over there you don't want it to be an OHOS, they require a great deal of maintenance and looking after.

Better to have a new car with warranty that won't(touching wood) breakdown every 10 minutes.......