Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/hot-car-ban-for-young-p-plate-drivers/story-e6frea83-1225886885470

Hot car ban for young P-plate drivers
GREG KELTON

ALL V8 cars including Commodores and Fords - along with some six-cylinder cars such as the Nissan 350Z and all Porsches built from 1994 - will be off limits to P-plate drivers under 25 from September.

As well as the Nissan and Porsches, young drivers will not be allowed to drive BMW M and M3 models, the Honda NSX, Mercedes Benz SLK350 and Nissan 370Z.

Anyone under 25 who gets their provisional license after September 4 and is caught driving any of these cars will be fined $250 plus three demerit points although the fine could be as high as $1250 if the matter goes to court.

South Australia is now the third state behind NSW and Queensland which prevents young drivers from driving high-powered cars.

The Government move is part of changes to the Graduated Licensing System which were passed by Parliament earlier this year as a result of a rash of deaths on the state's roads involving young drivers in high-performance cars.

The changes also include increasing required supervised driving for learners from 50 to 75 hours.

When the changes were foreshadowed in September last year, the Government stated 27 per cent of all fatalities in SA each year were young people aged between 16 and 24.

There are more than 76,000 P-platers on the state's roads and young drivers between the age of 16 and 20 are, according to Government statistics, up to three times more likely to be involved in a serious road crash.

Road Safety Minister Jack Snelling says the restrictions will apply to all young drivers under 25 who gain their provisional licence from September 4.

"The vast majority of Learner and P-platers aim to drive safely and responsibly, but there's increasing community concern over young, inexperienced drivers getting behind the wheel of these very powerful vehicles," Mr Snelling said.

"The ban on these high-powered vehicles will continue to apply to drivers during their P1 and P2 licence stages while they're under 25 through until they obtain their full licence."

Under the new road rules, high powered vehicles are:

VEHICLES with engines of eight or more cylinders.

VEHICLES with turbocharged or supercharged engines (excluding diesel-powered vehicles).

VEHICLES that have been modified to increase engine performance.

Car club member and car enthusiast CormacWaters, 20, says he's "not happy" that cars such as his fully-engineered 1993 Nissan Pulsar SSS with a two-litre, turbocharged, imported Japanese engine will be banned for new drivers under the legislation, though he will still be able to drive it as he already has his driver's licence.

Mr Snelling said a list of more than 250 vehicles which are excluded from the rules, including Audis, Saabs, Volkswagens, Mitsubishis, Fiats, Skodas, Volvos and Mercedes Benz are on the new website www.mylicence.sa.gov.au

These exemptions include circumstances when a high-powered vehicle is required for employment, or was owned before September 4, or if the only vehicle available to the driver was high-powered, for example, a one-car family.

Also under the new laws, if a provisional driver returns to driving after a serious disqualification offence on or after September 4, they will have an additional curfew condition applied to their licence.

This will mean if they drive between midnight and 5am, they will not be able to have any passengers in the vehicle other than the required qualified supervising driver.

The penalty for P1 drivers not displaying P-plates will change from an automatic licence disqualification to two demerit points and expiation fee of $250.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
I agree with the decision but I don't think it will make the difference in road deaths the government is looking for :scratchchin:
They will make a fortune out of revenue though as people will be forced to sell their cars or drive them anyway......stamp duty on the sale of their car or fines etc. for people driving exempt cars......but whats new :gnasher:

Driver training courses are still the answer to try & reduce the road toll or raise the speed limit in country areas to 120 or even 130kph.....not decrease it :?

Offline CortinaD

The way I read it Scott is that it only applies to people who obtain their license from the date onwards, not retro.

http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/48785/high_performance_list.pdf

They are going to have a hard time trying to prove their BMW isn't a M tech, most of them come with M badges littered all over them these days from factory.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

You can hoon in any car and you can kill yourself at 80kph as well as 120kph  so I dont think it will make any difference but if anyone under 25 cant drive a V8 does that mean I have to see the Masa quick ?

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
The way I read it Scott is that it only applies to people who obtain their license from the date onwards, not retro.

I'm not 100% sure but in the paper today, a guy is standing next to his turbo'd Nissan Pulsar SSS (highly modified & I doubt engineered :doh: ) & wasn't the happiest chappy in the photo.....Anyone have confirmation on this?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
fatalities in NSW increased when they introduced that law in 2005. They have recently expanded the law to ALL v8's, high performance v6's, turbos (except for diesel turbo), instead of just the everyday cheap run of the mill performance cars. Astons, Bently, Mercs ect were exempted before but that changed last year.

Poor bugger P platers here have over 4000 different models that they can not drive lol
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline 98octane

fatalities in NSW increased when they introduced that law in 2005. They have recently expanded the law to ALL v8's, high performance v6's, turbos (except for diesel turbo), instead of just the everyday cheap run of the mill performance cars. Astons, Bently, Mercs ect were exempted before but that changed last year.

Poor bugger P platers here have over 4000 different models that they can not drive lol

Does the law apply to all turbos, including low boost ones?  If so, a P-plater couldn't drive my GTI - which is a bit wierd given its acceleration and top speed isn't very fast.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Does the law apply to all turbos, including low boost ones?  If so, a P-plater couldn't drive my GTI - which is a bit wierd given its acceleration and top speed isn't very fast.

i'm pretty sure it does, I was looking at the list yesterday as i'm looking to buy my mum a Cayenne S and looked up if my bro and sis can drive it as it isn't really anything special other than a V8 with a pretty bad power:weight
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

sorry i was wrong, there are 4320 cars p platers can not drive without an exemption.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/200909_prohibited_vehicles_list.pdf

The poor buggers can not even drive a c180 kompressor and they are the most useless things around, can not drive a rolls royce corniche (they are as quick as a tank and just as heavy), wow v8 landcruisers are super quick according to NSW RTA???? What a stupid system.

Aerial Atom isn't on the list though..... unless it is a power to weight ratio the system is doomed to fail, half of the prohibited cars are slower than my old Kia RIo
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

What's the story with L drivers?  Can they drive anything they like?