Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
if you lose your licence, dont you go back to p's for 6 months or something? im not sure if thats still the case, but if so, would this still apply?

I gather it would :scratchchin: Anyone under 25 & on P's will be applicable to the rule, no matter how they got to be on their P's.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Typical stupid, knee-jerk government wasting money to try and come up with a 'fix' rather than a real solution.

Yeah well, it's a case of everybody knows.

STOP.

APATHY TIME.

if you lose your licence, dont you go back to p's for 6 months or something? im not sure if thats still the case, but if so, would this still apply?

No, there's distinctions between "probationary" and "provisional", one is when you've progressed from L's to P's (must show P's as it indicates to other drivers you are inexperienced), the other is when you've lost your licence and then it's re-issued with restrictions on what moving violations you can get away with for a given period (no P's required as it's cos of an indiscretion not likely related to experience).

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
It's all a load of bs, being involved with the MAC 90% of all p plater mva's I have investigated involved high speed / unroadworthy vehicles / alcohol.

I can do 120 in a 50zone driving an excel or a m3

if anything it is going to encourage p players to buy a cheap (more than likely unroadworthy) vehicle to get them through this short stage until they are un restricted.

I bet there is also a rush to own cars before the dead line

James: as was mentioned from someone else all you need is a client ID to register a vehicle, no active licence. It annoys the shit out of me with international people who come here buy a car unlicenced and then go cause mayhem on our roads.
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It annoys the shit out of me with international people who come here buy a car unlicenced and then go cause mayhem on our roads.

Really? What mayhem are these "international people" causing?

Offline app

No, there's distinctions between "probationary" and "provisional", one is when you've progressed from L's to P's (must show P's as it indicates to other drivers you are inexperienced), the other is when you've lost your licence and then it's re-issued with restrictions on what moving violations you can get away with for a given period (no P's required as it's cos of an indiscretion not likely related to experience).

i thought it was a reward-based system.
if you drive sensibly (or don't get caught for violating road rules) you can progress to the next level. if you get caught violating road rules, you go backwards.

a neighbour of mine who is a p plater drives like an absolute dickhead, burnouts on our street in the early hours of the morning etc, and i was jumping in joy when he lost his licence.
first time he lost his licence he lost it for 3 months. got it back with probationary conditions, lost it again 2 weeks later, lost for 6 months, got it back (again with probationary coniditions). lost it again, now he has lost it for 1 year and will have to be an l plater when he gets his licence back.
it's a good system because he'll be at least 25 before he can get his full licence. it will teach him a lesson for being such a dickhead on the road.

Offline dkabab

it's a good system because he'll be at least 25 before he can get his full licence. it will teach him a lesson for being such a dickhead on the road.

yeah clearly hes getting the picture....  :rolleyes:

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
Really? What mayhem are these "international people" causing?

mayhem may have been a bit strong,
but given the large majority of my $12M portfolio is made up from international non Australian drivers (from all over the world not aiming at any specific nationality) i'm a bit biased. Other people would have either small to non, Its just what i have been exposed to
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline AdminAG

• All the news that fits to pixels

• Drives: Traffic
Young drivers restricted from today

New laws came into effect across South Australia today limiting young and inexperienced drivers from driving high powered vehicles.

By Tom Coull

From: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/09/06/3003476.htm

Included in the amendments for inexperienced drivers are changes to the maximum speed limit for learner drivers, increasing to 100km/h where speed signs permit and when accompanied by a licensed motor driving instructor in a clearly marked driving school vehicle fitted with dual brakes.

The new regulations also include learner drivers being required to complete at least 75 supervised driving hours (including 15 hours at night) while those under the age of 25 must hold a learner's permit for at least 12 months.

Older learners must hold a learner's permit for at least six months.

Also from today provisional licence holders under the age of 25 must not drive a high-powered vehicle including vehicles with engines of eight or more cylinders, vehicles with turbocharged or supercharged engines (excluding diesel powered vehicles), vehicles that have been modified to increase engine performance and nominated high performance vehicles, including BMW M & M3, Honda NSX, Nissan 350Z & 370Z, all post 1994 Porsches and the Mercedes Benz SLK350.

A $250 fine plus 3 demerit points applies to those driver detected flouting the new laws with a penalty of up to $1,250 if drivers decide to have a court deal with the complaint and a conviction is recorded.

High-powered vehicle restrictions do not apply to drivers over the age of 25 or to those drivers who obtained their P1 or P2 licence before today.

Disqualified drivers will also be affected by the new regulations with disqualified drivers being forced to go back a licence stage.

According to the South Australian Minister for Road Safety, Jack Snelling, the regulations are designed to reduce the road toll, particularly the toll on young drivers.

"We know that young people are about three times more likely to be involved in a serious car crash than the rest of the population.

"We're determined to try and reduce the number of young people being killed and seriously injured in car accidents so we are introducing these reforms," he added.

"This is just part of a number of measures we're taking to try and reduce our road toll.

"We want less parents, less Mums and Dads getting that terrible knock on the door from the Police telling them that a son or daughter isn't coming home," Mr Snelling said.

But not everyone is happy with the new laws.

Anne Bainbridge, Executive Director of the Youth Affairs Council of SA says the laws will result in increased costs.

"I think one of the biggest issues is the cost for young people in spending that extra time on their L plates.

"I think their was an opportunity for a subsidy," she added.

"I think ultimately it would be great to involve young people in how to address this issue," Ms Bainbridge added.

Hello :)

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
75 supervised hours of driving, I assume thats supervised by anyone?
If you had to pay for 75 hours with a driving instructor that would be dramatic

how do you get your license now? I dont think you just do the test anymore where you parallel park, do a u-turn, hillstart etc.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Anyone know the story with exemptions in SA? My 16 yo is 6 months from getting her P's. Will she be able to drive the family E500 wagon - which was ours before the law changed?