Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Quite a few vehicles have now completely done away with the third pedal
Ferrari have announced its no longer an option

Lamborghini have had egear for a while, Porsche have DPK, mercedes have refused to give us a clutch pedal for years even as an option

Lots of manufacturers are talking about their F1 style technology

It occurs to me that for many years now, left foot braking has been the norm in F1 and any other form of racing with paddle shifters, certainly its always been the case in karting

so, does anyone with a paddle shifting sportscar left foot brake yet?

I can recall as a child my father convinced he could spot left foot brakers in commodores etc, driving along with their foot resting on the pedal, and there seems to be a general consensus that its extremely dangerous as in an emergency stop situation as the general population will press on both pedals

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I left foot brake around town in all my cars (that don't have a cluch), becomes 2nd nature after as you said being involved in karting... I generally only use my right foot if i'm in a cuise mode, like when ive had a long day and you can't be bothered moving more than you have to. So I do think it must be a more brain wave consuming exercise, especially for people who don't do track days .I personally don't find any difference but I have done it all my life, when my gf tried to copy me she would always press way too hard on the brake even though she wasn't tring to stop fast on purpose.

I don't know about the actual truth behind people tend to push both feet down in an emergency stop. I don't and i've been in the situation many times (mostly on the track, but then the odd person in front slamming their brakes on as soon as the lights turn yellow incase there is a red light camera). I've never instinctively used 2 feet for braking, maybe because I know how cars work, know that the ABS will not let you stop any faster if you have one or 2 feet on the brake, and i'm more concerned about trying to move out of the way of an emergency instead of risking a lock up if the surface is wet and running staright into the hazard instead.

Each to their own though, but i'm 24 this month, 8 legal years of driving (except for a 3 month disqualification)  no prangs that were my fault and no prangs to me that were someone esles fault. So am I still wrong for using two feet for driving? My insurance company doesn't think so lol (I wish I had 3 feet for my manual clutch cars though)
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I've heard it's the way you should drive a car with F1 gear box paddles, easier on the clutch, tried it a few times but didnt like it.

My left foot has only ever been used for a clutch so using it to brake means I have to get used using to very light pressure with that foot and I don't trust myself not to just floor the brake as you do the clutch.

Doing away with the third pedal seems like the passing of an era, even the F1 technology is semi auto anyway, was driving to the airport Monday and gunned it down to on ramp to the freeway and it leaped into the red and before I had a chance to react it had neatly moved itself from 2nd to 3rd even though it was not in auto mode. :scratchchin:

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

... and there seems to be a general consensus that its extremely dangerous as in an emergency stop situation as the general population will press on both pedals

It is for this reason I decided not to left foot brake anymore. I've always been a auto-gear driver so when I started driving I used the left foot to brake. Until one day I had a bad experience which nearly caused an accident. Since then I've stuck to the conventional way. I've thought about trying it again, but since I'm now driving much more powerful cars it's probably not worth the risk. Might try it the next time I'm on the track though..  :scratchchin:

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

All comes down to the individual, depends what life experiences you have I guess. I'm not saying to go out and try left foot braking because I can see how it could cause an accident if it isn't done right correct.

Is it illegal though? Not like anyone would ever know if you were or weren't doing it, but I wonder if it is legal or not? I know you can't pass your learners using your left to brake without a medical reason.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I only use my left foot to brake when there is no clutch pedal.
I grew up in autos and love the car balance control I can get with my left foot braking.
There is a much smoother transition (rear tyre weight to front tyre weight back to rear tyre weight) from brake to accelorating, the car is less unsettled.
I also find I can get a much tighter (less under steer) turn in as I can slightly trail brake into the corner, particually AWD cars

I have never had a emergency problem with it as my left foot is the only that hits the brake.

I find that it is much more dangerous when I use my cruise control to accelorate and have my right foot out the window cooling down and my left foot out the sun roof on hot days :D

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

lol Brenton with his cruise controll, get a merc with distronic so it does the braking for you lol, thats what my CLS has.

I totally understand the car feeling less unsettled, but I don't really notice that unless i'm breaking some road rules lol

Offline Paulstar

I find left foot braking extremely useful like Kujotk said for go karting, I've tried it with my car I see the benefits but dont bother with it.

On the track besides for karting I've shaved many seconds off lap times keeping the car much more settled simply with good effective use of left foot braking..........in GT prologue  :cool:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Even professional instructors and racers have differing opinions on this.

But the one common idea seems to be to save left foot braking for track only.

I've used it to good effect at Eastern Creek in the Uber F360 coming up to turn 8, just to settle the nose.  But that was all about following and understanding what my instructor was helping me with, rather than shaving tenths of a second off my lap time.

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Left foot braking is great for any open wheelers... it's about building sensitivity of the foot over time. For example, I first learnt fractional movements on toes on the right foot (can make a big difference if you're braking too hard and locking up, or need to ease accelerator), then learnt the same with the left foot for braking.

I have used left food even on 3 pedal cars to transfer weight to the front wheels - such as going into the long left at Winton for example.

After doing a "defensive driving" course a few years back now, and seeing how bad people are in general at braking (people were afraid to STOMP the pedal in a simulated emergency) I got really worried about people driving behind me... :)