Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Only a Honda Accord involved, but still, nice effort behind the wheel...

A MELBOURNE man with an eye for a new car has been arrested after what may be Australia's longest test drive - 6200km to the Top End.

The 30-year-old was arrested near Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory, 3700km from the Melbourne car yard from which he borrowed it last Friday.

Police swooped after he failed to pay for $59 of petrol to fuel the $40,000 Honda Accord at remote Wycliffe Well on the Stuart Highway.

He had put 6200km on the clock during his journey.

The man walked into Travis Honda in Frankston last Thursday and asked to look over the 2008 model.

Dealer principal Ian McKenzie said he spoke to one of the sales team for 20 minutes, convincing him he was a genuine buyer.

"He seemed a legitimate gentleman. He stood at the desk right in front of a camera. He wasn't afraid of being photographed or videoed," Mr McKenzie said.

Mr McKenzie said the salesman knelt at the driver's side showing the "customer" instrumentation, then walked to the other side.

"As soon as he (the salesman) stood up to get in the other side, he (the driver) planted the foot and took off," he said.

The salesman grabbed at the door handle as the Honda lurched forward but the thief had already locked the door.

Mr McKenzie said he was unhappy when he heard the car was found 3700km away in Tennant Creek.

He was even less impressed to learn the driver had somehow put 6200km on the clock.

"He's obviously found his way to Tennant Creek quite comfortably. He's got to have been in the car nearly all day, every day," he said.

Acting Sen-Sgt Mark Nash of Tennant Creek police said the man had packed belongings, including clothes and toiletries for the trip.

"He must have gone home (after stealing the car). We were a bit surprised by that," he said.

Acting Sen-Sgt Nash said the man had since covered the Wycliffe Wells petrol bill, avoiding a charge over that.

But he remains in custody, charged with aggravated unlawful use of a motor vehicle and unlawful possession of property. He is expected to appear in the Tennant Creek Magistrates' Court today.

Offline Laminator

• https://www.facebook.com/photoesel/

Well, that definitely is a great effort, but 40k for a Honda Accord. :eek:

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Laminator

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Well, that definitely is a great effort, but 40k for a Honda Accord. :eek:

Nothing wrong with the new accord. I drive an Accord my self. Its a great car for its class and the $ you pay

Offline Laminator

Nothing wrong with the new accord. I drive an Accord my self. Its a great car for its class and the $ you pay

That's not what I meant. Our neighbour's paid 34 for theres, I was unaware the price was that high. :)

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

That's not what I meant. Our neighbour's paid 34 for theres, I was unaware the price was that high. :)

$40k would be the top of the range V6. Full leather, sunroof the whole lot.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

$40k would be the top of the range V6. Full leather, sunroof the whole lot.

My bad, the V6 full lot is $50k! $40k will only get you the top of the range 4 banger