Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

It's easy really -

Paddles on Porsches, C63,  M3 etc are just to change gears fast.

Paddles on a Masa and I presume Ferarri blip the throttle and make the whole exercise a joy.

FF will explain it again for the umpteenth time if he sees this thread.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Driving the 458, I use the auto around town about 50% of the time.  In the hills and in the country, I use the manual mode 100%. The gearbox, in manual mode especially, is one of the car's best features. Super quick to respond to the paddle and slick on the change itself.  Having a gorgeous sounding engine helps of course.

In the Turbo S (with essentially the same type of gearbox), I use the auto mode all the time in the city, all the time in the country and 95% of the time in the hills (and Tassie).  I almost never touch the paddles and never ever touch the stick. The auto mode just works better.  Braking hard for corners, you can regulate when the down changes will occur with the brake pedal and it just seems to know what gear you want as you exit the corner and start putting on pace.  It's incredible.  Only when REALLY going for it does it benefit from holding the gears manually to squeeze a little more out of the engine. (on a track of course :o)

The auto mode in the Ferrari just doesn't behave in the hills - it changes down to a lower gear just when you don't want to.  It's great around town though.

Driving the Golf GTI (which I do occasionally) I don't like using the paddles for some reason.  It's essentially a good auto. 

The point of all this ranting is that the driving feel of paddles differs from brand to brand, even when they have the same format of gearbox.  Obviously, there's an even bigger difference between automatically actuated manuals like the e-gear, full auto with paddles and double clutch boxes.

I agree with the comments on the satisfaction of a nicely executed gear change - who wouldn't - but the better paddle boxes have a charm all of their own

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
My thought process...

I have always driven manual/clutch, Love them to bits, more control in certain situations but not enough to make me choose traditional manual over auto clutch all the time.

In my case (like most auto clutch buyers) it started as a novelty when I bought a 360 spider, never had an F1 box before so went for it, strange at first but at least it made more sense than merc and Bentlys paddles on a 100% auto gear box.  Ever since I have always bought auto clutch, but recently bought an Alfa with manual clutch for a bit of fun on the small hilly icy roads around here.

Reasons for Auto clutch:

Easy to drive if stuck in traffic,
easier to drive while eating/phone/drinking water etc... (on private road ofcorse)
Paying for the R&D of the technology anyway if you buy a manual or auto clutch so why not just take advantage of it.
Quicker car.
Anyone can drive them, comes in handy if you have had too much to drink, so you can get anyone to drive you back home in your own car.
Less bouncing off the rev limiter since most auto clutches shift up when it hits the limiter (only good for buying used).

Sounds like i'm clutching at straws when I think about it... lol

I love both though, both have their weaknesses and strengths.

Main reason though, I don't keep cars for long and generally like to sell them when I get sick of them and get something else, Auto clutches are much much quicker to get rid of than manuals.

You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I think paddles in a Porsche and AMG for instance are a waste of time BUT in an Italian they make the driving experience, they act like a manual change and sound good enough to give you a chubby :D

I've had limited experience but enough to see a big difference.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It's easy really -

Paddles on Porsches, C63,  M3 etc are just to change gears fast.

Paddles on a Masa and I presume Ferarri blip the throttle and make the whole exercise a joy.

FF will explain it again for the umpteenth time if he sees this thread.

It's not easy - the C63 and M3 for example have totally different gearboxes.  Porsches with PDK blip their throttles just like the Ferrari.  The only Maserati with paddles is the old style single clutch which I think only they and Lambo still use.  They are slow and clunky.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

I also never use Auto mode while I drive in a car that has an Auto clutch unlike Mhh. Then again the 458 probably has an auto mode half decent, where as the 360,430 and Gallardos really have shit auto modes that really piss me off 100% of the time, they change gears at such low revs that if you want to quickly give it a squirt to change lanes or to accelerate through a roundabout while still rolling, they bloody bog down untill the car finally decides to get in the correct gear.

Also guys an auto car with Paddles (most mercs) and other cars without clutches are terrible when using the paddles, they are nothing like the double or sigle clutch addle shift cars, I don't think this is what MHH was refering to when he started the thread.

I think that most people who actually really hate paddle shift (auto clutch) cars are really hating the Auto box cars that have stupid paddle buttons behind the wheel (a glorified tiptronic) and are using this as to why they hate all paddles, that or they listen to MR Clarkson too much.

When I drive an auto clutch car I rarely think about the traditional manual unless I am trying to park it in a tight spot...

Offline dkabab

Parking can be a bitch in e-gear. I guess it gets better with practice but edging forward or backwards slowly is a bit too jerky.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

They are slow and clunky.

Comon they arn't that slow, much faster than changing cogs yourself, but I agree compared to the double clutches like DSG/PDK/ the 458 they do feel un refined and slower.

The 458 is bloody instant, almost mythical gear changes.  :lovies:

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Parking can be a bitch in e-gear. I guess it gets better with practice but edging forward or backwards slowly is a bit too jerky.

Yeah E-gear takes a bit of practice for parking, even in the more recent G's, Ferrari has had it down packed since the TCU upgrade in the 2004 onwards 360's.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I also never use Auto mode while I drive in a car that has an Auto clutch unlike Mhh. Then again the 458 probably has an auto mode half decent, where as the 360,430 and Gallardos really have shit auto modes that really piss me off 100% of the time, they change gears at such low revs that if you want to quickly give it a squirt to change lanes or to accelerate through a roundabout while still rolling, they bloody bog down untill the car finally decides to get in the correct gear.

Also guys an auto car with Paddles (most mercs) and other cars without clutches are terrible when using the paddles, they are nothing like the double or sigle clutch addle shift cars, I don't think this is what MHH was refering to when he started the thread.

I think that most people who actually really hate paddle shift (auto clutch) cars are really hating the Auto box cars that have stupid paddle buttons behind the wheel (a glorified tiptronic) and are using this as to why they hate all paddles, that or they listen to MR Clarkson too much.

When I drive an auto clutch car I rarely think about the traditional manual unless I am trying to park it in a tight spot...

All true. :)

Comon they arn't that slow, much faster than changing cogs yourself, but I agree compared to the double clutches like DSG/PDK/ the 458 they do feel un refined and slower.

Yes, I'm being a bit hard. They CAN be slow and clunky would be a better way of putting it.