Offline dkabab

You mean Auto with paddle buttons???

Yup I drove the 370gt Skyline (basically same car as 370) and in auto it was perfect, they are better in Auto than they are in manual IMO.

the manual blips the throttle on downshift for you.... no heel and toe.

Offline nuxi

• Drives: Porsche Cayenne
  • Name: Michael
You mean Auto with paddle buttons???

Yup I drove the 370gt Skyline (basically same car as 370) and in auto it was perfect, they are better in Auto than they are in manual IMO.

Well, yeah lol.

Offline M500

Manuals are fun and certainly better than slushbox autos every time. But for me, true automated manuals are the way to go. They are a more versatile gearbox in that they can be driven in auto mode for a relaxed or congested drive and then used in manual to be every bit as fast and fun as a traditional manual. As it was said before, the technology is with the automated gearboxes, true manuals are an old school technology which will eventually die off like using the key to lock/ unlock the doors.

As with any newer technology, the later models are much better, the crispness and shift speed in MHH's 458 is something else, even my little brother' Polo GTI DSG is a great little car with a great gearbox. However I still liked the SMG in the BMW's (E46 M3 & E60 M5) because they had a certain amount of unrefined animal in them that reminded you that you are driving a real sports car.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
seems a lot of my sentiments have been echoed here.

but MHH's comment about his TTS being used basically as an Auto all the time is what i really dont like about the whole paddle shift thing. its great that it knows just what you want it to do, but it takes away that fun bit of doing it yourself.

im glad to hear that you use the paddles in the 458 though :D

as said in numerous posts, i guess there is no right or wrong, but isnt it amazing how factions seem to exist in this debate.

Jay Leno said last week, that he too loves manual gear boxes and wished his new MP4-12C was offered with one, but then said, "i guess it would be like buying a car with a crank start" 

i guess we just have to accept that these are the times we live in now.  and i therefore doubt i'd buy anything newer than a 997, Gallardo, F430, etc etc and when i hit my 50's be one of those old dudes who's into the 'classic' cars LOL

Offline Paulstar

Honda Jazz - CVT with paddles - Didn't like for the most part, only liked tapping it down down down for corners but that was just novelty

Suzuki Kizashi - CVT again, thought the paddles were cool, only a quick test drive. Once again only for down shifts, I didn't fully wrap my head around how they worked on that test drive because you don't need to shift up if you're accelerating it just sits at one RPM.

Golf R - only rode as a passenger, thought it was rubbish that we should all be jerked about so harshly on gear changes when we're just driving along in traffic. Never got driven / drove that car in anger so no idea how it would feel with sportier driving.

BMW M3 (old) semi auto thing? - Didn't like, it was slow to respond and so I didn't see any benefit

My car is a manual gear shift, cable clutch - I like that, I can drive it smooth around down and heel toe it around when I feel like it.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head

Jay Leno said last week...  and i therefore doubt i'd buy anything newer than a 997, Gallardo, F430, etc etc and when i hit my 50's be one of those old dudes who's into the 'classic' cars LOL

And this is the same guy who has a bloody Gas powered jet rocket turbined car????    "oh yeah I won't buy anything newer than an F430.... by the way have you seen my rocket car?"    :doh:

lol
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
And this is the same guy who has a bloody Gas powered jet rocket turbined car????    "oh yeah I won't buy anything newer than an F430.... by the way have you seen my rocket car?"    :doh:

lol

haha, you missed my quotations,

he said about the crank start.

the 997 F430 etc was my own personal comment :D

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
haha, you missed my quotations,

he said about the crank start.

the 997 F430 etc was my own personal comment :D

Lol yeah I did, I like the way I read it begore though lol. I still love how Lenno really appreciates cars of all types, I'd love to see his collection one day...
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
To M500, the Datto 370Z slush is superb, in many ways better even than the clutchless stick version, and certainly better than any 360 f1 version.

Lets not forget clutchless stick... Porsche sportomatic was, well, different, and Ferrari did the Mondial valeo versions which are quite good, they even did an F40 valeo to order.....

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

To M500, the Datto 370Z slush is superb, in many ways better even than the clutchless stick version, and certainly better than any 360 f1 version.

Lets not forget clutchless stick... Porsche sportomatic was, well, different, and Ferrari did the Mondial valeo versions which are quite good, they even did an F40 valeo to order.....

370Z 2 seats only, even a Lotus has rear seats  :doh: