Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
anyone have a link to the actual wording?

have heard some retarded stories about someone just touching their phone and copping points/fines.  gf's friend had one point left with a couple weeks to go before getting them all back, picked up her phone to look at the time and an undercover cop on a bike tapped on the window and bang, goodbye licence.

some things to think about with the advent of phones no longer being just phones, is it illegal to use a camera while driving?  what about a phone camera?  how about illegal to use a GPS, how many of us now have a GPS integrated with our phone?  what about PDAs...?  what if the PDA has communications abilities....?  are you allowed to use an iPod?  what if your phone plays MP3s too?

Offline fan512bbi

anyone have a link to the actual wording?

have heard some retarded stories about someone just touching their phone and copping points/fines.  gf's friend had one point left with a couple weeks to go before getting them all back, picked up her phone to look at the time and an undercover cop on a bike tapped on the window and bang, goodbye licence.

some things to think about with the advent of phones no longer being just phones, is it illegal to use a camera while driving?  what about a phone camera?  how about illegal to use a GPS, how many of us now have a GPS integrated with our phone?  what about PDAs...?  what if the PDA has communications abilities....?  are you allowed to use an iPod?  what if your phone plays MP3s too?

A friend of mine was fined ?100 and hit with three points because he was eating an apple whilst driving  :mad:

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
As far as I know, the wording they always use on the ads here is it is illegal to 'operate' a handheld communication device.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

yeah well, these days it's reasonable to call whatever you're carrying around a mini-computer, with communication capabilities, and that's my point/quandary...

lots of people play with their GPS or radio/iPod, but i have a GPS which also plays radio and is an MP3 player and has games and a calendar and a camera and i also occasionally use it to let people talk at me.

someone at werk mentioned the part of the legislation they looked at said it was illegal to have any non-navigational "displays" visible to the driver, or something like that.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Point I wish to raise as I saw the column wrote in SMH that they are phasing out navigational devices such as navman and tomtom as the smart phones now can do the functions just as well.

On the 25th of March 2009, I was fined $250 and taken 4 demerit points because my iPhone was on the dash and I was looking at it as a satellite navigation! I explained to the officer at the time that I was using it as a sat navigation system and I showed him theres no records of calls or txt msgs on my phone but he said the following in a very sarcastic tone of voice

"go get yourself a proper device like navman, iphone is a phone and using it will incur you driving offences"

I was very upset but did not respond to his comment. I later wrote a reconsideration letter with phone statement that I did not make any phone call at the time to the authority which I got the notice that I have to proceed with the payment or else waiting for the call from the court.

What do you guys think? I am thinking about taking this issue further in the authority but I dont know who to talk to? I would be glad to hear what you have to say about this and any suggestions?

http://digihub.smh.com.au/node/1106

Offline dkabab

technically the officer was correct, morraly maybe not. but thats where the law falls down. you cant use a phone, but you can use a gps, camera, eat a 3 course meal etc...

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
technically the officer was correct, morraly maybe not. but thats where the law falls down. you cant use a phone, but you can use a gps, camera, eat a 3 course meal etc...

are you absolutely sure about that?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline dkabab

are you absolutely sure about that?

no... but yes.  :confused:

even if there isnít a law as such, Iím sure they can/will book you for inattentive driving

Offline app

not really

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24914764-5006301,00.html