Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Number's up even if hands-free

It is illegal to use hands-free phones while driving in Tasmania.

But you may get away with cramming your mobile between your ear and your shoulder -- as long as you keep both hands on the wheel.

The bizarre loophole has prompted the Government to urgently amend the state's road rules, it was revealed yesterday.

Hands-free technologies have been promoted as the safer option for people to talk on their phones while driving and escape a $110 fine and two demerit points.

Wireless Bluetooth technology is now standard on most new mobiles and retailers will often give away wireless earpieces or other speaker devices that plug into the vehicle's lighter socket.

Many new vehicles come with hands-free mobile phone systems, but they too are considered illegal under the state road rules.

Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources spokeswoman Suzie Jacobson said although it may be considered absurd to class the hands-free devices as illegal, the laws were too rigid to allow their use.

Ms Jacobson said the glitch affected most states and territories and a recent Ministerial Council meeting had ordered all states to introduce amendments before November 30.

The state's laws say it is illegal to "use a hand held mobile phone while the vehicle is moving or is stationary and not parked".

She said that included the use of Bluetooth and hands-free equipment.

"We will be drafting a number of amendments to the road rules to ensure this and other matters are rectified," she said.

It also follows a court case in South Australia where a motorist was fined for the use of a Bluetooth hands-free kit but challenged the ruling and won.

Tasmania's new legislation is expected to come before State Parliament in November.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/07/24/86421_lifestyle.html

Online jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
What a crock of shit, time to start banning eating, talking to passengers, listen to the radio.....breathing while driving. Wish people would get over themselves.

Offline app

What a crock of shit, time to start banning eating, talking to passengers, listen to the radio.....breathing while driving. Wish people would get over themselves.

absolutely, the govt needs to grow up and face reality

so true that playing music is just as distracting as listening on the phone

i dont know if that court case in SA was the guy who got fined for having one finger on his bluetooth ear piece but its ridiculous that of all the crime committed, they fine some guy for this  :doh:

the govt needs to grow up and face reality - mobile phones are an important medium of communication, time to embrace that and not waste tax payers money on banning it. a class of 5 year olds could do better than these jokers in parliament

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

absolutely, the govt needs to grow up and face reality

Good luck with that.

Offline app

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

so true that playing music is just as distracting as listening on the phone

Not sure Cam meant it to that extent - not that I talk on the phone much but if I was as "distracted" by music as I am by a phone call - I'd never listen to a word anyone said unless it was in the form of a power ballad!

Online jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
yeah pretty much to that extent. If I've got music on most likely I'm singing along, pretty distracted. Also having a conversation with someone in the car is more distracting, as the art of conversation includes watching a persons reactions.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

...a conversation with someone in the car is more distracting, as the art of conversation includes watching a persons reactions.

I'm fine with in-car convos - I sometimes get a bit imaginative with what I'm saying and my brain walks off to check it out - but on the phone I find myself concentrating way too much on the convo than the road, not sure what it is - perhaps it's the extra element of imagining the person on the other end - who knows!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
being on the phone in the car is FAR FAR FAR less distracting than having 3 kids in the back.....

scenario.....

oldest kid asking "what's that bird daddy, the one right up high in the tree"

middle kid wanting Rolf Harris CD..... AGAIN  :doh:

youngest chokes on a bit of apple......

Gimme a phone anyday  :tilt:

Offline super squalo

• Drives: anything you put petrol in
luckily only one mobile phone in Tas so they need to keep passing it around so the cops will never catch em!! :D

who thinks this crap up :doh:
try it you may like !!!

Back from the Dead