Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

I don't read or text while driving but I've got to get out of the habit of checking the phone at the lights. Everyone seems to do it but I know I'll get caught one day.  Not sure the best way to deal with this.  Maybe leave the phone on the back seat while driving?
At least you're not like some of the women I've seen slowly accelerating from the lights while looking down at their phones.

If you leave the phone in the back seat it'll drive you crazy when it rings or even vibrates, or worse, you might leave it there.

Just turn it off or try to abstain:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

SMS or Email???

I have a Beta app that does Text to talk - needs some work but it does convert Text messages to voice in a way.

Just need to work out how to activate it without touching the phone......

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

SMS or Email???

I was thinking both.

I've just discovered that Siri will read me new texts - but not emails by the look of it.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I was thinking both.

I've just discovered that Siri will read me new texts - but not emails by the look of it.

Ah, that's right iPhone......

Does it have voice commands as well so you don't have to pick it up???

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Ah, that's right iPhone......

Does it have voice commands as well so you don't have to pick it up???

Not sure.  I've been playing with Voiceover which will read email - more for blind users than motorists though.

Offline CortinaD

I used to check it at the lights a few years ago and then I realised what on earth am I doing, nothing is that urgent and can wait until I get to my destination if it is appropriate to check. So now my car is my happy place, about the only place I do no work. I will answer calls from friends if they come in but that is pretty much it.

It is a hate/love with my phone but in general I hate all phones. I now also have mine constantly on silent, has been for over 3 years now. I only answer it if it is someone I want to hear from otherwise it goes to message bank. Private numbers, unknowns etc all go to message bank. One thing I have done with my desk phone is put a profile on it so it only recognises numbers internally and externally from a few I have plugged in, everything else gets given a busy signal. I am thinking about doing this for the mobile too.

The thing I hate most about phones is when you are talking to someone in a business setting, I don't mind so much personally, and a call comes in they answer it.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

It is a hate/love with my phone but in general I hate all phones. I now also have mine constantly on silent, has been for over 3 years now. I only answer it if it is someone I want to hear from otherwise it goes to message bank. Private numbers, unknowns etc all go to message bank.

The thing I hate most about phones is when you are talking to someone in a business setting, I don't mind so much personally, and a call comes in they answer it.

I go one further, I have no message bank. I only give my mobile number to people I know and if it's a private number or an unknown number it doesnt get answered and if it's so important then they will send me a text.

What I hat about phones is when you are with someone and they have their phone away from them -  in a bag, or on a desk/table as soon as a call comes or a txt comes then their attention is automatically removed from you and it's obvious that they are dying to check their phone.

I also hate when people talk on their phone at a dinner table -  regardless being at a restaurant or home.

And one more peeve, people that talk loud on their phone in public. 

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil.

My phone is silent most of the times, and when not, the ring tone is low.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Here is one for ya!!!!

In the morning traffic this morning, chick in the car next to me.......

Had the cup of coffee going, checking messages on phone, applying makeup, another text that had to be answered staright away, doing hair, more coffee, checking makeup, another text..............and on and on......

I don't think she looked up once, good thing we were only going 5kph.

When she did look up, I made it blatantly obvious that I had been watching her for the whole time which I think freaked her out quite a lot!    :D

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Here is one for ya!!!!

In the morning traffic this morning, chick in the car next to me.......

Had the cup of coffee going, checking messages on phone, applying makeup, another text that had to be answered staright away, doing hair, more coffee, checking makeup, another text..............and on and on......

I don't think she looked up once, good thing we were only going 5kph.

When she did look up, I made it blatantly obvious that I had been watching her for the whole time which I think freaked her out quite a lot!    :D

One better than that

coupla years ago I was turning into my street after work when I had an almighty whack from the back.  The lady behind me drove straight into me at 60km/hr with no effort to brake at all -  why.....because she said "I didnt see you, I was sending my friend a text"

She told the cops the same thing

didnt help either that she blew .156

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

One better than that

coupla years ago I was turning into my street after work when I had an almighty whack from the back.  The lady behind me drove straight into me at 60km/hr with no effort to brake at all -  why.....because she said "I didnt see you, I was sending my friend a text"

She told the cops the same thing

didnt help either that she blew .156

A former member here had their Ferrari written off due to a very similar situation....

....but in that case, the car was parked!!!!   :doh: