Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

being on the phone in the car is FAR FAR FAR less distracting than having 3 kids in the back.....

scenario.....

oldest kid asking "what's that bird daddy, the one right up high in the tree"

middle kid wanting Rolf Harris CD..... AGAIN  :doh:

youngest chokes on a bit of apple......

Gimme a phone anyday  :tilt:
Yep, my favourite.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NGyNBc-cU

boom boom

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
VicRoads backdown on mobile GPS ban
CADE LUCAS

Victorian drivers will be able to use smartphones as in-car navigation tools after VicRoads backed down on a proposed blanket ban on mobile GPS devices.

The revised Victorian mobile phone rules, which come into force on November 9, were announced by VicRoads in newspaper advertisements over the weekend.

The previously announced rule, which drew international media attention, banned drivers from using mobile GPS applications as navigation systems.

The use of mobile-phone GPS systems is becoming more widespread, and the ban was seen as a threat to the growing market in smartphone applications and services.

The changes will now allow drivers to use their mobile as a GPS device as long as it sits in a cradle or is remotely operated.

Under the new laws, drivers will be prohibited from holding their phones or resting them on their lap, even if they are turned off.

Drivers can still make and receive phone calls or listen to music if the phone is sitting in a specially designed cradle.

Any other use of the phone, such watching videos, text messaging or playing games while driving, is banned.

A VicRoads spokeswoman said the rule had been "clarified" after it previously prohibited all mobile phone functions except phone calls - even if the device was in a cradle.

"The change now states that in addition to to being able to make or receive a call when the driver is using a phone in a cradle or remotely, the driver is also able to use the music/audio (without video) functions," she said in a statement.

"Using a phone as a GPS is also permitted, but only if the phone is secured in a commercially designed cradle.

"All other functions of the phone outside of GPS and music/audio (without video) remain prohibited."

The new rules will affect iPhones that use apps such as those made by TomTom, Navigon and Sygic; Nokia phones using its Ovi Maps; Telstra phones using its Whereis Navigator GPS service and any other service or software that enables a mobile phone to be used as an in-car navigation device.

Drivers caught breaking the new laws will be fined $234 and lose three demerit points.

VicRoads says research has shown that a driver is four times more likely to crash while using a mobile phone.

In Victoria, the act of driving while using a mobile ranks among the state's top three driving offences.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/vicroads-backdown-on-mobile-gps-ban-20091019-h4d0.html

• Soap Dodger

saw a report about how you can get fined for using your phone, when the car isn't even on the road... ie, parked off to the side...

apparently, if you so much as touch your phone WITHOUT the car being in Park and/or with handbrake on, you're nicked.

yet it's fine to select tunes from an ipod or program and use a sat nav, or adjust your heater/air or turn your wipers on or use ANY car control that needs your hand s off the wheel.

what a croc of crap  :thumbsdown:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

yet it's fine to select tunes from an ipod or program and use a sat nav,

Er, not by what nice Mr Policeman told me last week. He say NO touching iPods or Satnavs(unless integrated in the cars system).    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline Iggy_Type_R

there's easy solution to this whole problem that the government obviously has with it all...

BAN DRIVING!!!  :doh: :gnasher:

• Soap Dodger

Er, not by what nice Mr Policeman told me last week. He say NO touching iPods or Satnavs(unless integrated in the cars system).    :confused: :confused: :confused:

what's the fucking difference between an "integrated" sat nav or a stand alone..

they both need to be touched

cops are idiots enforcing dickhead laws in this regard.

Am I allowed to scratch my ear with a casio calculator I've had since school?

I might keep it in my car, it's got a nice corner that just hits the spot when I need it scratched.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You can't have a wank either - but that's got  noyhing to do with touching things while you drive but something else.    :eek: