Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
NEW ROAD RULES TO IMPROVE SAFETY ON VICTORIA’S ROADS

Thursday, 27 August 2009

Changes to road rules around U-turns, navigation devices and mobile phone use will be introduced in November this year as part of a Brumby Labor Government commitment to improving safety on Victorian roads.

Roads and Ports Minister Tim Pallas today said the changes were the result of a comprehensive assessment of the road rules, focusing on improved safety, consistency and common sense.

“The Brumby Labor Government is taking action to improve our road network, reduce the road toll and provide important safety benefits for Victorian families,” Mr Pallas said.

“Our roads are busier than ever before and people are using them differently with the introduction of new technologies, such as navigation devices and multi-purpose mobile phones.

“The changes include tightening regulations around hand-held mobile phone and navigation devices use and provide consistency to overtaking and U-turn rules.”

The new road safety laws will bring Victoria into line with nationally-set standards.

Mr Pallas said improving safety on Victorian roads was what the Government’s arrive alive strategy was all about, aiming to reduce the road toll and serious injuries by 30 per cent by 2017.

He said the changes included preventing overtaking and U-turns over single unbroken dividing lines. Motorists will be able to perform a U-turn or overtake across broken dividing lines, or where there a no centre lines at all.

“U-turns alone have caused 19 deaths and 654 serious between 2004 and 2008. There were 1524 U-turn crashes in Victoria in that period. These changes will therefore have a significant impact towards improving safety on our roads,” Mr Pallas said.

Mr Pallas said the laws would also prevent dangerous use of mobile phones and navigation devices while driving.

“Talking on a hand-held mobile phone while driving is reckless and increases the risk of a crash fourfold. Phones and navigation devices will be required to be in appropriate holders or cradles in the vehicle. The advice is simple – hands on the wheel and eyes on the road,” he said.

“Road users found to be flouting the new road rules will face penalties, including fines and demerit points. These new road rules will hopefully go some way to further reducing loss of life. All Victorians need to continue to work together to help drive down the road toll.”

Other new road safety rules being introduced include not allowing passengers under eight years of age to be carried as pillion passengers on motorcycles.

The changes come into effect on 9 November 2009. For more information on the new road rules, people can visit www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/roadrules

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/minister-for-roads-ports/new-road-rules-to-improve-safety-on-victorias-roads.html

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

http://www.roadrules.vicroads.vic.gov.au/home.php

Is it just me, or is that all what we've been doing for years?

what's actually NEW there?

and the bit that REALLY irritates me, is the stoopid rule makers STILL refer to children/restraints in ages...

it's got SFA to do with how old they are... it's their height and weight that matter.

it would be easy for cops to carry scales and tape measure to check it too... rather than trust the driver/kids to tell their age.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Offline Mario

• Sponsor: Eurogloss Prestige

• Name: Polish Doctor
http://www.roadrules.vicroads.vic.gov.au/home.php

Is it just me, or is that all what we've been doing for years?

what's actually NEW there?

and the bit that REALLY irritates me, is the stoopid rule makers STILL refer to children/restraints in ages...

it's got SFA to do with how old they are... it's their height and weight that matter.

it would be easy for cops to carry scales and tape measure to check it too... rather than trust the driver/kids to tell their age.

I think the Australian Government should take note on the road rules that they have in Europe !
Meaning, educate people not punish them !

That's why things run smoother in Europe , and i am not being biased here  because they can be  tough with you as well but also fair .

Just my two cents worth !