Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
From http://www.caradvice.com.au/19692/the-mystery-traffic-device/

The mystery traffic device

11 Dec, 2008  16 Comments Email This Post

Several of our readers have sent in photographs of what appears to be a mobile speed camera device, masquerading as a traffic counter. Located on several on and off ramps on Victoria’s Western Ring Road, the devices have been operating for the past few weeks.

As you can see in the photographs, the device has been angled appropriately to photograph passing traffic.

The traffic counter portion of the device is hidden behind the box, fooling drivers into thinking the device is actually there to count traffic.

We’ll keep tabs on this one and let you know if we hear about any further developments.

Offline dkabab

looks like its bleeding pink paint....

im sick of this sneeky crap. its not slowing anyone down.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
hmmmmm...it certainly looks like it's been placed in a very accurate way.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline app

I agree with you dkabab, sneeky is ridiculous

It's when the drivers know the speed cameras are there , it acts as a discentive to people speeding

I don't get the speed cameras in wheelie bins etc since drivers don't know they are there. So how does it discourage people from speeding?? I'm going to take a pessimistic view on this and say that the government doesn't give a crap about discouraging drivers from speeding, instead using it as a revenue raiser.

Offline Aircon

I agree with you dkabab, sneeky is ridiculous

It's when the drivers know the speed cameras are there , it acts as a discentive to people speeding

I don't get the speed cameras in wheelie bins etc since drivers don't know they are there. So how does it discourage people from speeding?? I'm going to take a pessimistic view on this and say that the government doesn't give a crap about discouraging drivers from speeding, instead using it as a revenue raiser.

cos it means you NEVER know where they are.

works on me!

smite work on others too.

Offline app

cos it means you NEVER know where they are.

works on me!

smite work on others too.

Let me try and explain this differently

I have never received a speeding fine (yet). That's beacuse I know there are speed cameras and know that there are spots where they frequent. Hence, this discourages me from speeding.

However, if the true number of speed cameras is a lot bigger than I thought it was because of the hidden speed cameras, what is going to stop me from speeding?? I don't know how many hidden ones there are and where they frequent so I have no incentive to speed less.

The only people that it will stop from speeding, are the ones they catch because they know of the hidden cameras

And put it this way, how many people would really know that hidden speed cameras exist?? My guess, not many, so my argument is that its going to be useless in trying to stop people from speeding, but make shedloads of money for the government.

Offline dkabab

you know i dont intentially speed, but it just feels more natural traveling at 65-70

Offline Aircon

Let me try and explain this differently

I have never received a speeding fine (yet). That's beacuse I know there are speed cameras and know that there are spots where they frequent. Hence, this discourages me from speeding.

However, if the true number of speed cameras is a lot bigger than I thought it was because of the hidden speed cameras, what is going to stop me from speeding?? I don't know how many hidden ones there are and where they frequent so I have no incentive to speed less.

The only people that it will stop from speeding, are the ones they catch because they know of the hidden cameras

And put it this way, how many people would really know that hidden speed cameras exist?? My guess, not many, so my argument is that its going to be useless in trying to stop people from speeding, but make shedloads of money for the government.

fair enough. i don't agree...in fact, it doesn't even make sense to me.

i suspect there might be a speed camera at every set of lights and under every bridge. i suspect every car parked on the side of the road. the only way to drive stress free is to not speed. simple. knowing where they are makes me slow down when i get to where they are. of course, i smite be unusual.

Offline 98octane

I see app's point, but Aircon's makes more sense from the government's policy perspective.

If they don't want you to speed anywhere, they won't tell you where there are or might be speed cameras.  The logic is you'll assume there could be a camera anywhere so you'll drive within the law everywhere to avoid a fine.

If you knew where all cameras are, you might speed everywhere except those places where you know cameras are or are likely to be.  Geelong Fwy is a great example - there's lots of known cameras there, so lots of people slow down for bridges (known camera spots) and speed up everywhere else assuming it's safe.  But I've recently noticed numerous parked camera cars there as well, presumably to eventually reverse that trend.

Offline Aircon

I see app's point, but Aircon's makes more sense from the government's policy perspective.

sort of goes without saying, you smite say.