Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/253762/is_it_time_for_tests_for_older_drivers.html

Is it time for tests for older drivers?

British racing legend Sir Stirling Moss has called for regular competence tests for drivers over the age of 70.

The call comes as the RAC’s annual report on motoring shows that a majority of drivers believe there should be compulsory medical checks and driving evaluations for motorists over the age of 70.

Sir Stirling said: “As an 80-year-old driver, I can clearly relate to the topic of elderly motorists and I support the idea of tests for the older generation. So many things have changed since we first started driving: road layouts have been altered and the density of traffic has risen enormously, especially in the cities.

“The statistics show that although as a group we are less likely to be involved in an accident, we are more likely to be the cause of an accident, whether we are caught up in it or not – a sign that our reaction times are not what they once used to be3. We do not need to give this generation a full driving test again, however, perhaps just a simple competence test every 3 to 5 years from the age of 70, to make sure we are still capable.”

The RAC’s report also shows that 86 per cent of drivers over the age of 70 have had no additional training or assessment since passing their test and that 84 per cent of older drivers would support refresher driving courses.

A spokesman for the RAC said: “Motorists of all ages clearly believe in the value of refresher courses to improve old skills and learn new ones.”

What do you think? Are refresher courses enough or should older drivers take a full driving test? Does the system work fine as it is? Should there be a maximum age limit?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Over the age of 70 ? over the age of 50 for some of them :rolleyes:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

From 18 going by what I have seen the last few days!!!!    :boggled: :doh:

Offline Grimsbyreaper

• Drives: BMW X5 35d MSport
There are some people who should never be allowed a license in the first place.

Back in Lincolnshire.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
There should be a "Dob on a Dickhead" system.......5 complaints to 1800 number against your driving (reg number) & back to the drawing board you go :thumbsup:

I think that 60 & above should be reviewed every 2-5 years & every year after 75 or so, via a driving program funded by speeding fine revenue.

Offline CortinaD

There should be a "Dob on a Dickhead" system.......5 complaints to 1800 number against your driving (reg number) & back to the drawing board you go :thumbsup:

I think that 60 & above should be reviewed every 2-5 years & every year after 75 or so, via a driving program funded by speeding fine revenue.

I would have lost my license a long time ago if that was the case.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
I would have lost my license a long time ago if that was the case.

I was on my P's until I was 25 :teehee: :banghead:

Offline Grimsbyreaper

• Drives: BMW X5 35d MSport
problem in the UK (could be the same in AU not sure) is unlicensed, un-road taxed, un-insured idiotic drivers, who have complete disregard for everyone. Dob them in, Ban them, make them re-sit tests all you like, and they will still get in a car and drive it. They are worse than the older drivers who may not be as proficient as they should be but are not irresponsible (well not all of them)

Back in Lincolnshire.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

It starts with training, as usual in Australia, if you can drive round a corner and park the car you're in, no worries mate :thumbsup:
Half arsed and useless.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
How would a "dob in" system work? For starters a lot of us on this forum have cars that others want, you don't think some of the jealous type would be dobbing you in just because of the car????

Also just because we think someone is driving like a dick doesn't mean that they are not in the right? All depends on point of view and circumstances. Also just because we think a particular lane changing technique is safe, doesn't mean the old folks agree (besides old flks are the ones that complain the most, you would get dobbed in for just merging infront of an old person on a freeway with 1km gap infront of them).

I agree some people shouldn't have a drivers license at all, just like not everybody can be a pilot for various reasons, some people take to driving like fish in water and are excellent drivers, on the other hand some people should never be allowed to be in controll of a motor vehicle because they are not suited to driving. (Ever had the asian woman in the honda nearly cause 5 accidents in 1km of road? We all have).

Having said this, my father used to be an awesome driver, but now as he approaches his mid 40's I have noticed and even he has noticed that he isn't as quick or as good as he used to be and he isn't some noob driver either, he has been trained on skid pans from an early age.... I guess it is just a fact of life....
Enjoying Life!!!!