Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Guys.....I know what I said wouldn't work.....Just a bit of a throw away, bullshit comment :rolleyes:
My phone would constantly be on redial the whole time I was driving if there was such a number :gnasher:
Adelaide drivers are the most arrogant, self centered, tunnel visioned dickheads on Australian roads......without question, & I would say not many South Australians would disagree.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

If I remember rightly they drive slow over there ?
I think we should start a thread on classic parking attempts, take photos and post them up, Would be a real hoot.

Offline Paulstar

I think we should start a thread on classic parking attempts, take photos and post them up, Would be a real hoot.

They better be CLASSIC otherwise it would just be sad.

I was pulled over on the phone in a no stopping/standing/something zone once, a guy walks past my car...stops...walks back stands behind and takes a picture. I got out to ask him what the situation was and he says "Oh nothing mate its just that your parked about 40cms from the kerb" then LOL's at himself and continues along.

I sat back in my car feeling realllllllllllly sorry for that guy.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
isn't there a "dob a hoon" phone number in VIC?

sure there was at least.

• Soap Dodger

FWIW, I do think that a skills test should be taken at some time, and that 70 would be about right.

But more importantly IMO is the quality of training/testing here MUST be terrible.

I took my truck licence tests here, and found them to be pretty good and only about 60% of people pass them first time.

Car driving testing/traininghowever is something I don't know anything about in this country...

I do know that on my trip to work each day, I get passed by several cars doing at least 115km/h usually driven by girls AND they're on the phone/text etc....

Sure, the big dangerous speeders are usually young guys, but the girls seem to always drive ~15% over the limit AND follow too close AND don't use lights in poor visibility etc etc.

Age is only a fraction of the reason for retraining/testing IMO.

and I'm 40 now... I know that my vision (in one of my eyes) is not what it used to be, but I still reckon I'm as sharp or sharper than I was in my 20's.

Fangio never even raced a GP until he was 39? THEN went on to become possibly the best driver the world has seen.

• Soap Dodger

• Soap Dodger

I actually had a random phone call this evening, a survey wanting to know about speeding habits and opinions...

bummer, I started doing it, but it was going to take 20 minutes, and I had to go out and didn't finish  :irked:

Offline wiz043

I joined a sports car club (MR2) at 56yo and started going on organised runs/rallys and felt quite confident in the 'spirited' driving involved as I had quite a lot of experience many years ago on the racetrack driving MG's, Austin Healeys etc in classic car races and I still retained my Cams licence.

However, I am now 67yo and do not go on the runs anymore and I have sold my MR2 as I no longer feel confident driving it at speed. I have now retired and bought a Toyota Aurion and have joined the 'grey nomad' brigade and just paddle around at a sensible speed and I still find that my reflexes and awareness is nothing like it used to be.

I know everyone is different in their skill levels at any age but I would have no problem with having a yearly driving test for my own safety as well as the safety of others on the road.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
I joined a sports car club (MR2) at 56yo and started going on organised runs/rallys and felt quite confident in the 'spirited' driving involved as I had quite a lot of experience many years ago on the racetrack driving MG's, Austin Healeys etc in classic car races and I still retained my Cams licence.

However, I am now 67yo and do not go on the runs anymore and I have sold my MR2 as I no longer feel confident driving it at speed. I have now retired and bought a Toyota Aurion and have joined the 'grey nomad' brigade and just paddle around at a sensible speed and I still find that my reflexes and awareness is nothing like it used to be.

I know everyone is different in their skill levels at any age but I would have no problem with having a yearly driving test for my own safety as well as the safety of others on the road.

Good job Wiz......Glad to see people like yourself taking other lives in to consideration & being realistic about age & reaction times etc. :thumbsup:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Yes well said :thumbsup: