Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Not with the traffic density and abysmal driving standards that we have on Melbourne's freeway systems. Out in the sticks on the Hume perhaps.

For that reason I mentioned highways, not freeways

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
For that reason I mentioned highways, not freeways

There wasn't much of a difference until fairly recently.

Offline j15

Interestingly, the Roads minister in NSW is talking about raising speed limits (albeit it will take a while before that could occur)

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/call-for-speed-limit-increase-on-the-pacific-and-hume-highways-20150903-gjeqcm.html

Quote from: Sydney Morning Herald
NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay is pursuing a speed limit increase along the Pacific and Hume Highways, from 110km/h to 120km/h on dry days, claiming that current speed limits didn't reflect the latest automotive standards.

The minister's comments follow a decision in the Northern Territory where motorists were permanently allowed to choose their own speed along a 276 kilometre section of highway following a successful 18 month evidence-based trial.

In a decision condemned by medical authorities, Territory Chief Minister Adam Giles on Thursday handed down a report confirming that open speed limits had reduced the number of accidents along the trial section of the Stuart Highway when compared with a 130km/h posting previously in place.

In NSW, Mr Gay has ordered Roads and Maritime Services to cost remediation works on both the Pacific and Hume Highways which would mandate grade-separated intersections and crossroads.

"We're OK at 110km/h but when you've got crossroads coming in on most of those roads ... that's a problem," Mr Gay said. "The best way I can look at raising the speed limits in place is to put a proper road in to allow that happen ... I'm awaiting the results of those costings shortly."

Minister Giles in the Northern Territory confirmed a new 60-kilometre extension that will stretch the de-restricted zone to 336 kilometres between Alice Springs and the Ali Curung rail overpass. The developments follow a $4.4 million investment from the Territory government on upgrading the Stuart Highway to suit higher speeds.

"Driver safety has always been paramount during the trial and the sections of the Stuart Highway selected were chosen because they represented the least risk and lowest crash statistics," Giles said.

"The traffic counter data shows there was only a small increase in driver speed in the trial sections, with 85 per cent of drivers travelling between 133 and 139 kilometres an hour."

The report found the fastest speed admitted to by a driver was 295km/h. Prior to open speed limits, the average speed in the trial area was 134km/h, with the highest speed registered at 205km/h. Car makers including Porsche have returned to the Territory to conduct testing since the open speed trial commenced, pushing its 918 hypercar to 350km/h.

Whereas most Australian states have pursued lower speed limits in recent years, the Territory example provides an interesting case study. Open speed limits were abolished by the former Territory Labor Government in 2006 and replaced by a maximum limit of 130km/h. More people died on Territory roads (307) in the six years after, than in the six years before the change (292).
Moreover, countries such as Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Denmark record lower annual road traffic deaths than Australia despite featuring speed limits of 130km/h or higher.

Online TJB

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Look what I found in South Australia yesterday...

Online TomE

Yeap that mean state limit applies. 100 km per hour PA!

"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline Joel

Yeap that mean state limit applies. 100 km per hour PA!

Whats the point of the sign. Just pointless

Offline dkabab

Dirt road too. Now there's a challenge

Online jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Whats the point of the sign. Just pointless
In NSW it means drive to suit conditions maximum 100