Offline Rickjames

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
read that too

but I dont think anyone in government would seriously consider it

It is really easy to talk about how you are considering it and blab to the media for some good PR

To actually put it in place, then have someone killed in a head on with kids in a 200sx going 200kmph to celebrate would be disasterous for whoever reinstated the law

Ask yourself - if you were the transport minister for the NT, would you return to open speed limits?

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.

Ask yourself - if you were the transport minister for the NT, would you return to open speed limits?

Yes, I would.. but Im never likely to be the Minister for Transport in NT ;)

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It was part of their policy platform. I agree, it makes no sense to reintroduce open road limits but they said they would so they will be accused of breaking a promise if they don't.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
It was part of their policy platform. I agree, it makes no sense to reintroduce open road limits but they said they would so they will be accused of breaking a promise if they don't.

They may be able to use previous AE visits to show that it will increase tourism.

Offline blackr35

Dear Territorians,

Thank you for your ringing endorsement of our policies and our subsequent election.

One of the issues we campaigned on involved speed limits in the NT. The figures show that the cOmmenceent of speed limits has not reduced our road toll - in absolute or relative terms.

Therefore we shall restore the previous open road policies.

This will :

- encourage testing of new vehicles in the NT, with the associated economic benefit
- encourage personal liberty
- free our police force to concentrate on dangerous driving and criminal behaviour

We are, of course, not bound by the dogma of other political parties and states, and will revisit this policy regularly.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

They may be able to use previous AE visits to show that it will increase tourism.

Or encourage dangerous driving... :tilt:

I regret that first MOTOR article - it didn't help the cause.

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy
Not quite the kind of change we had in mind.  :doh:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-27/speed-limit-changes-nt-highways-adam-giles/4785136

Boo!....one scrap of hope still left in his comments of not ruling out return to open limits elsewhere.........

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

NT government keen to expand no speed limit trial on major highways

The Northern Territory Government plans to expand its trial of removing speed limits on major highways.

Two months ago it removed the speed limit on a 200-kilometre stretch of the Stuart Highway between Alice Springs and the Barrow Creek area, as part of a 12-month trial.

Northern Territory transport minister Peter Styles now wants to go further.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/nt-no-speed-limit-trial-to-be-expanded/5376402