Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Before anyone mentions it, im asking TransportSA tomorrow, but figured i would see what i could find out in the meantime...

We have a car that hasnt been registered in a few years that we are thinking about putting back on the road, given that its been out of rego for at least 3 years, are we going to be able to register the car? or is a roadworthy required? Can we "sell" it to myself and register it with no trouble?

Cheers
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Who was it original Rego'ed to????

You will have to provide proof of ownership and proof of the original rego.

SA rego laws are pretty much the same as Vic, the car will need a RWC and if your rego branch is anything like ours, they will most likely want to inspect it to make sure the VIN and engine numbers haven't been mucked with.

Offline Speedfreak

• POWER!!!!

SA rego laws are pretty much the same as Vic, the car will need a RWC and if your rego branch is anything like ours, they will most likely want to inspect it to make sure the VIN and engine numbers haven't been mucked with.

Im not 100%, but last time i checked on this a couple years ago, as long as the car hasnt changed owners it doesnt need to be checked out. I have a car that been off the road for 4 years and i asked what to do about re-registering, thats what I was told.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

As far as i know its in the family, i know if a car is brought into SA it needs and ID check to make sure VIN/Engine numbers etc match

Im not 100%, but last time i checked on this a couple years ago, as long as the car hasnt changed owners it doesnt need to be checked out. I have a car that been off the road for 4 years and i asked what to do about re-registering, thats what I was told.

That seems to be the general gist of what people are telling me, lets hope its that, god knows i dont want to deal with Regency....

Offline Speedfreak

• POWER!!!!

That seems to be the general gist of what people are telling me, lets hope its that, god knows i dont want to deal with Regency....
I told them my other car will be "off the road for repair/resoratation" they seem to be ok with that.

But if you have to go to Regency, try to go on a friday afternoon. Heard their more lenient :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Just re-rego it in current owners name ($14 surcharge for being out of date like the rest of SA), then sell it, no probs.

It's only if there's new mods declared or interstate transfer that they check.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Just read the TransportSA website, Fark me - wish it was that easy here in Vic.    :eek: :doh: :gnasher:

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

So, went into transport SA today, their phone system is shithouse so gave up and just went in and asked...

So long as the car hasnt been defected etc, re registering it is no problem, just fill out the rego form and register it, if you dont have the rego forms cos they have been lost or something, there is a green form to fill out with rego number, vin/chassis/engine number etc and off you go!

Just re-rego it in current owners name ($14 surcharge for being out of date like the rest of SA), then sell it, no probs.

It's only if there's new mods declared or interstate transfer that they check.

If we cant get rego papers, this is the route we are going to go, which is fine by me, if i put 3 months rego on it, im going to work my arse off to get it onto the road sooner so the rego doesnt lapse and the car hasnt been driven!