Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline a.taylor

A mate of mine told me about this a few weeks back. Tried it out for a bit and it is a bit of a spin out but definitely widens your field of view. I didn't keep it going long enough to change any habits though.

Online bbb

I was taught this at Ian Luff Driver Training a few years ago. Most people have half of their car showing in the side mirrors instead of none or JUST a bit as a point of reference....

I'm not sure how true this is but I was also told that Police Officers are NOT allowed to turn their head to check when changing lanes like the general public are as it is obviously unsafe to take your eyes off the road when travelling at speed. The other exception to the look over shoulder rule is people that drive vans and ute's who can't see much when they look over their shoulder.

Interesting that there is two standards of safety??

Offline dkabab

i tried this out this week..... and it makes sense while cruising along. the biggest problem i had was with reversing. i couldn't see the back corner of my car which helps in carparks and while parallel parking.

ive never had any problems with 'blind spots' because i am always aware of the cars around me at all times... all the time, so im back to the common way

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
It's all very well, and in theory looks sound.

But in practice, if you don't have your own car slightly visible, how can you be sure your mirror hasn't been knocked further out of position, and you're looking completely the wrong way... You need a point of reference, otherwise you could react, or over react to unimportant things.

I'd say it'd work for the unobservant very well. Kinda playing to the lowest common denominator, or dumbing it down... like so much of life lately.

But if you have any kind of observation skills, you'll be just fine keeping a little of your own car in view. A glance in the mirrors every 5 seconds or so is really very easy.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

GL 500 (all new mercs I guess as an option)has blind spot assist, never have to turn my head.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
GL 500 (all new mercs I guess as an option)has blind spot assist, never have to turn my head.

what is it? How does it work?

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Offline fivesix

So many car features amaze me... So cool.