• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

I'll post it now...

go buy a Radical or a West or a Speads

you'll never look back.

I'm very rusty with my track work now, and even I did 1.36 at E Creek, in the rental Radical on old tyres.

It cost almost nothing to do the ~60 laps, too.

Offline Paulstar

@FF, which parts are wearing out prematurely?

Tyres, suspension, pads, discs..what else?

• Soap Dodger

@FF, which parts are wearing out prematurely?

Tyres, suspension, pads, discs..what else?

Mate, EVERYTHING... the whole car... including seats/carpets/steering wheels/all kinds of stuff you'd not even consider.

Plus engines and transmissions.

track work is roughly x10 in wear rate compared to road use.... meaning 5000 km on track is like 50,000 road km.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
... he was driving the car, the driver on the R35 was piloting the car ...

Good point - some people want to brag, others want the experience.

For $30k you can get an ex race-series Lotus Elise, which will give you as raw as you can get experience to a race car without having to tow it, but you still might be slower than an R35 that slips by with A/C at a desirable level and radio playing and 4 cameras all live-streaming to the interwebs so the guys you don't like at your forum can watch you, and then you can later post the telemetry details to Facebook and then retweet it.

So yeah, it's great to have a drink with mates and brag about lap times, but is that worth the extra $$$$$$ over the basic experience?

• Soap Dodger

for those that THINK they want to track their road car... this is better...

www.simworx.com.au

www.racecentre.com.au

you may have seen my truck delivering the racecentre stuff last week

Offline dkabab

Are those race cars, west, radical etc... Safe if you hit a wall in one?

Suppose it's hard to say unless there were lots of incidents to reference, but I've seen the f3 cars and formula fords stripped and your legs are the crumple zone.... Are these racers any different. Would put me off doing 10/10ths knowing if I came off I could lose my legs.

Offline Paulstar

For $30k you can get an ex race-series Lotus Elise, which will give you as raw as you can get experience to a race car without having to tow it, but you still might be slower than an R35 that slips by with A/C at a desirable level and radio playing and 4 cameras all live-streaming to the interwebs so the guys you don't like at your forum can watch you, and then you can later post the telemetry details to Facebook and then retweet it.

30k race only lotus Elise over an R35 for sure. Cheaper to run/fix, less bits to break, overall a more efficient package. R35 is about 160k now right? still leaves $130k for a daily. I think thats a win solution.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
for those that THINK they want to track their road car... this is better...

www.simworx.com.au

Oh yeah Kevorkian or something - I think they wanted to sponsor here or something (and I forgot to reply as usual).

Quick - everyone click the link!!! :p

• Soap Dodger

Are those race cars, west, radical etc... Safe if you hit a wall in one?

Suppose it's hard to say unless there were lots of incidents to reference, but I've seen the f3 cars and formula fords stripped and your legs are the crumple zone.... Are these racers any different. Would put me off doing 10/10ths knowing if I came off I could lose my legs.

well, they're as safe as the design regulations stipulate. And a full cage and harness is always much better than  a lap and diagonal in a cageless road car.

And a road car with airbags is actually quite dangerous if not crashed properly (!), which CAN happen on track.

The thing is, what most people perceive as 10/10ths, is in fact more like 8 tenths, and the risks of losing control at THAT level are much less.

When I first drove the Radical, my first attempts were around the 1.40s mark... it wasn't until I had a riding instructor that I pushed the (newly advised) limits a bit more and found another ~4 sec..

at my perceived pace, there was barely any chance of me crashing (through my own fault).