Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Oh yeah Kevorkian or something - I think they wanted to sponsor here or something (and I forgot to reply as usual).

Quick - everyone click the link!!! :p

huh?????

FWIW, Simworx is a guy named Jack klaver, he used to own my truck, is a Ferrari club member and owner, maserati club committee member, and true car enthusiast. He used to navigate the targa 308 I prep too.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

huh?????

FWIW, Simworx is a guy named Jack klaver, he used to own my truck, is a Ferrari club member and owner, maserati club committee member, and true car enthusiast. He used to navigate the targa 308 I prep too.

We know Jack well. He came to Alice with us. Great guy. :)

Offline dkabab

well, they're as safe as the design regulations stipulate. And a full cage and harness is always much better than  a lap and diagonal in a cageless road car.

And a road car with airbags is actually quite dangerous if not crashed properly (!), which CAN happen on track.

The thing is, what most people perceive as 10/10ths, is in fact more like 8 tenths, and the risks of losing control at THAT level are much less.

When I first drove the Radical, my first attempts were around the 1.40s mark... it wasn't until I had a riding instructor that I pushed the (newly advised) limits a bit more and found another ~4 sec..

at my perceived pace, there was barely any chance of me crashing (through my own fault).

Do the have a decent crumple zone though? I doubt it.  At least in a car you have more to protect you. Assuming all else is equal, harness' etc...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Do the have a decent crumple zone though? I doubt it.  At least in a car you have more to protect you. Assuming all else is equal, harness' etc...

Good question but I think we all know the answer. :o

• Soap Dodger

Obviously, race versions of road cars DO have crumple zones just like their road going versions. So, a 996/997/360/430 does have crumple zones, yes.

The radicals etc do have crash absorbtion designed into them, but no, they're not of course what you'd call a crumple zone.

Crumple zones are only found on monocoque contructions, real race cars are spaceframe.

But, if lap time and excitement is your reason for tracking a car, I'd much rather drive a radical at 8 tenths and still be very fast, than drive a road car at 10 tenths, and still be relatively slow in comparison.

eg... if you fancy trying to do a 1.15 at Mallala.. you'd do it very easily without any risk of crashing or any undue wear and tear in a radical, but try that in a 997/996/360/430 or anything road based, and you'll run right on the ragged edge with high risks of crashing and high wear rate.

Motorsport is designed to be safe with motorsport cars.

Anyway you look at it, it's a no brainer IF your motivation is to drive the car to near it's limits.

if you just want to have a quick blast with your road car, in totally stock form, then it's ok to do it once or twice so that you can say you have, but to do it regularly is just a waste of time and money in a road car.

• Soap Dodger

Furthermore, if your road car or even racer version of road car, does damage it's crumple zone/s, there's a good chance it'll be a write off, or a very big repair at least.

but with a damaged space frame car, you simply cut out all the damaged tubes and replace what's needed. This is normally an easy job by any semi skilled mechanic with welding abilities, using tube metal off the rack at the local steel joint.

Offline Paulstar

@ FF, what kind of budget would you need behind your space frame race only car in the first year, things like the cost to buy the car, cos of a trailer, servicing and repairs?

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
i think this is a nice all rounder :D

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?trecs=47&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAll&Cr=0&__Ntt=gt3&R=10188120&__Qpb=true&__D=gt3&silo=1011&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=gt3&__No=30&__sid=12DFD54B1DAE&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963765&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany

• Soap Dodger

@ FF, what kind of budget would you need behind your space frame race only car in the first year, things like the cost to buy the car, cos of a trailer, servicing and repairs?

very leading question.

most cost effective option is to be a hands on guy and do most prep yourself.

Cost of a decent radical etc is really ~$100k, can spend 30% less or more too.

Trailer etc is not bad... $20k gets you a wicked trailer, can spend less than half that.

Running costs.... if prepped properly and subjected to correct preventative maintenance, maybe ~$5/km (~$15/lap)

But this can vary WILDLY with luck, good or bad, accidents and usage.

Typically, with self trailering, FOUR days out will be 1 set of tyres gone, and maybe as much as 1000km run. You'll spend around $5k

or call it ~$1250 per day. But this can vary wildly, maybe half, maybe triple, depending on a gazillion factors.

A 360 or 430 will cost double that. a 996/7 maybe in between.

• Soap Dodger

i think this is a nice all rounder :D

drastically over priced, and only a touring model....

but nice  :tilt:

rather buy an excellent Ferrari 328 and watch it appreciate, and keep the change while doing it!