Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

.but with a damaged space frame car, you simply cut out all the damaged tubes and replace what's needed. This is normally an easy job by any semi skilled mechanic with welding abilities, using tube metal off the rack at the local steel joint.

I think dkabab is more worried about his legs being amputated. :o

Offline dkabab

@ FF, what kind of budget would you need behind your space frame race only car in the first year, things like the cost to buy the car, cos of a trailer, servicing and repairs?

If you're keen, contact west racecars.... The have a category these days. They race at the v8 events too. 395kg and 200hp!!! They offer pay to race packages aswell.  I'm sure radical etc do the same.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I think dkabab is more worried about his legs being amputated. :o

he's more likely to get hurt in a road car, than a race car, as he'll be at or beyond it's limits much more easily and much more often.

• Soap Dodger

besides, isn't dkebabs indestructible, like syndrome in the incredibles???

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

besides, isn't dkebabs indestructible, like syndrome in the incredibles???

Unless he gets sucked into a jet engine or stands to near Ash when it's Beer o'clock!!!!    :p

• Soap Dodger

If you're keen, contact west racecars.... The have a category these days. They race at the v8 events too. 395kg and 200hp!!! They offer pay to race packages aswell.  I'm sure radical etc do the same.

absolutely

FWIW, I think the West is actually the better of the 3 cars mentioned.. or at least it's faster...

The radical is my preferred choice, as it's a two seater, so it can be used for instructing/rides.

I'm hoping to get a go in a speads very soon.

Offline j15

drastically over priced, and only a touring model....

but nice  :tilt:

rather buy an excellent Ferrari 328 and watch it appreciate, and keep the change while doing it!

LOL, its his car.

He was suggesting that as a track car, so don't think the 328 would be much of a comparison in that context

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

As someone who's done both - would be awesome to get a "here's why" perspective from you.
so you rock up with a road car, say a CS or 430 scud, do a few laps then

1: brake pedal goes soft after a while so you replace the fluid with race fluid.

2: road tyres squeal and not very grippy so you want to buy R spec or slicks then

3: you have to change rims as there aren't tyres in the rim size the car came with then

4: you need to cart the spare set of rims with tyres so you can change at the track and drive the car home so

5: you need tools and shit to do the change then

6: you move around in the seat so you buy a harness then

7:you need to modify the mounting points so the harness fits then

8: the seat doesn't hold you in so in goes a new seat that looks shit compared to the rest of the car and the passenger seat then

9: your laps times are nowhere compared to the guy in the next pit in a old race car then

10: you notice stone chips that weren't there before you started and that pisses you off, the guy in the race car doesn't care and thinks the battle scars makes his race car look tough then

11:  you go to sell your car and word gets out "it's been on the track and flogged" then

12: before you sell you crash the car which makes it more painful.

and etc etc etc.

it's a right of passage for all to go through this journey. and no not all these things happened to me, only most. :p

those with road cars at a track day think the guys in race cars are hardcore and that they (the road car guys) think they will never get to this point or are scared of the unknown of race car ownership.

Offline Cuso

LOL, its his car.

He was suggesting that as a track car, so don't think the 328 would be much of a comparison in that context

I thought I had seen that photo shoot on here somewhere as well  :)

Offline CortinaD

so you rock up with a road car, say a CS or 430 scud, do a few laps then

1: brake pedal goes soft after a while so you replace the fluid with race fluid.

2: road tyres squeal and not very grippy so you want to buy R spec or slicks then

3: you have to change rims as there aren't tyres in the rim size the car came with then

4: you need to cart the spare set of rims with tyres so you can change at the track and drive the car home so

5: you need tools and shit to do the change then

6: you move around in the seat so you buy a harness then

7:you need to modify the mounting points so the harness fits then

8: the seat doesn't hold you in so in goes a new seat that looks shit compared to the rest of the car and the passenger seat then

9: your laps times are nowhere compared to the guy in the next pit in a old race car then

10: you notice stone chips that weren't there before you started and that pisses you off, the guy in the race car doesn't care and thinks the battle scars makes his race car look tough then

11:  you go to sell your car and word gets out "it's been on the track and flogged" then

12: before you sell you crash the car which makes it more painful.

and etc etc etc.

it's a right of passage for all to go through this journey. and no not all these things happened to me, only most. :p

those with road cars at a track day think the guys in race cars are hardcore and that they (the road car guys) think they will never get to this point or are scared of the unknown of race car ownership.

I am up to step 6. It played out exactly as you write!