Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

so you rock up with a road car, say a CS or 430 scud, do a few laps then

1: brake pedal goes soft after a while so you replace the fluid with race fluid.

2: road tyres squeal and not very grippy so you want to buy R spec or slicks then

3: you have to change rims as there aren't tyres in the rim size the car came with then

4: you need to cart the spare set of rims with tyres so you can change at the track and drive the car home so

5: you need tools and shit to do the change then

6: you move around in the seat so you buy a harness then

7:you need to modify the mounting points so the harness fits then

8: the seat doesn't hold you in so in goes a new seat that looks shit compared to the rest of the car and the passenger seat then

9: your laps times are nowhere compared to the guy in the next pit in a old race car then

10: you notice stone chips that weren't there before you started and that pisses you off, the guy in the race car doesn't care and thinks the battle scars makes his race car look tough then

11:  you go to sell your car and word gets out "it's been on the track and flogged" then

12: before you sell you crash the car which makes it more painful.

and etc etc etc.

it's a right of passage for all to go through this journey. and no not all these things happened to me, only most. :p

those with road cars at a track day think the guys in race cars are hardcore and that they (the road car guys) think they will never get to this point or are scared of the unknown of race car ownership.

That's a great summary.  :thumbsup:

I took my first Gallardo to Mallala and got as far as 1. Brake pedal goes soft...  :o

Offline Paulstar

Scud brings up alot of good points why not to use your car for track use. I asked what the costs in the first year are because I'm wondering those costs / minus the costs of repairing your road car / returning it to stock condition when you're finished might not even be close.

It might be a false economy to have a race only car is what i was thinking, which is why i asked.  :)

If FF says $1250 per track day as costs for a radical, would you do that much damage to your road car in one day? I don't know..then again the toys you guys play with are very premium...

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Scud brings up alot of good points why not to use your car for track use. I asked what the costs in the first year are because I'm wondering those costs / minus the costs of repairing your road car / returning it to stock condition when you're finished might not even be close.

It might be a false economy to have a race only car is what i was thinking, which is why i asked.  :)

If FF says $1250 per track day as costs for a radical, would you do that much damage to your road car in one day? I don't know..then again the toys you guys play with are very premium...
i rented a 996 cup car for a year with a mate at a cost of $5000 total per club day giving me 30 laps at $83 per lap, $2500 divided by 30 = $83. so for one year i paid $17500. all expenses included though tyres supplied were old, if i wanted a new set i would have to pay for them. now if i had tracked my 996 GT3 road car i would be up for a set of brake pads, fuel for the year, r spec tyres, 2 or 3 sets, depreciation, wear and tear, road insurance, rego, servicing etc.

i would of spent $17500 easily.

Offline Cuso

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but where can you hire track/race cars to use at tracks, am thinking it might be easier to pay for the priviledge of using someone elses car and then able to drive a number of cars this way instead of being locked into the car I've bought.

My closest track is Wakefiled Park if that helps.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but where can you hire track/race cars to use at tracks, am thinking it might be easier to pay for the priviledge of using someone elses car and then able to drive a number of cars this way instead of being locked into the car I've bought.

My closest track is Wakefiled Park if that helps.
big smoke cities will be easier to find cars, though the deal i got never seemed to add up for the hirer. i'll be at wakefield in april, looking forward to it.

Offline CortinaD

I track every 2 months. Here are mine for a street car

300 to 450 for track
100 for fuel
Tyres last 4-6 days $300
Brake pads 2 - 4 days $200
Cams day permit $25
Engine Oil/ filter $100

That's about it not including wear and tear on the car. Car hasn't faulted yet.

Offline Cuso

big smoke cities will be easier to find cars, though the deal i got never seemed to add up for the hirer. i'll be at wakefield in april, looking forward to it.
Being in CBR we miss out on a lot :(

Have done a 1 day advanced trainign day at Wakefield, all it did was give me the taste to do it more often, missus even bought me a helmet for Xmas.

Know of anyone in Sydney for use at ECR?

Offline CortinaD

Being in CBR we miss out on a lot :(

Have done a 1 day advanced trainign day at Wakefield, all it did was give me the taste to do it more often, missus even bought me a helmet for Xmas.

Know of anyone in Sydney for use at ECR?

BMW driver training? 1100 ish flog a new m3 for most of the day under instruction

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

so you rock up with a road car, say a CS or 430 scud, do a few laps then......

it's a right of passage for all to go through this journey.

great post scuddles...

you're absolutely right, it IS a right of passage...

but the question has been asked, and those with experience have commented....

it's up to the individual to decide if they want to benefit from others experience, or move forward faster...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
so you rock up with a road car, say a CS or 430 scud, do a few laps then

1: brake pedal goes soft after a while so you replace the fluid with race fluid.

2: road tyres squeal and not very grippy so you want to buy R spec or slicks then

3: you have to change rims as there aren't tyres in the rim size the car came with then

4: you need to cart the spare set of rims with tyres so you can change at the track and drive the car home so

5: you need tools and shit to do the change then

6: you move around in the seat so you buy a harness then

7:you need to modify the mounting points so the harness fits then

8: the seat doesn't hold you in so in goes a new seat that looks shit compared to the rest of the car and the passenger seat then

9: your laps times are nowhere compared to the guy in the next pit in a old race car then

10: you notice stone chips that weren't there before you started and that pisses you off, the guy in the race car doesn't care and thinks the battle scars makes his race car look tough then

11:  you go to sell your car and word gets out "it's been on the track and flogged" then

12: before you sell you crash the car which makes it more painful.

and etc etc etc.

it's a right of passage for all to go through this journey. and no not all these things happened to me, only most. :p

those with road cars at a track day think the guys in race cars are hardcore and that they (the road car guys) think they will never get to this point or are scared of the unknown of race car ownership.

Awesome. :cool:

Need to put this checklist somewhere that anyone considering the idea of tracking their car more than a couple times a year can see it.