Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

On Monday I registered my McLaren and paid stamp duty but the new plates haven't arrived. The car was delivered on NSW plates (registered to Trivetts) which are still on the car. Can I legally drive the car on the old NSW plates until the SA plates arrive? I'm concerned that a cop checking the NSW number will now see "unregistered" on the computer. I'm sure I can explain but I don't want to put it to the test.

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
According to DTEI records the car is now under SA registration. Got a spare set of 8 plates to tack on it in the meantime to ease your concerns?

Offline dkabab

According to DTEI, what plates are on the car, and who's it registered too?
Do you have to wait for the standard plates before you can put your historic plates on?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

According to DTEI records the car is now under SA registration. Got a spare set of 8 plates to tack on it in the meantime to ease your concerns?

No, they went to Qld on the S65 a long time ago. Damn.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

According to DTEI, what plates are on the car, and who's it registered too?
Do you have to wait for the standard plates before you can put your historic plates on?

The reg form shows 88-888 and its registered to me.

Offline dkabab

The reg form shows 88-888 and its registered to me.

Well then I would assume driving with nsw plates is illegal.

Bit of cardboard and a texta should do the job until then...

Offline app

Not trying to make this thread go off-topic mhh, but do you sell your cars with the numeric plates still on them? If so, how do you keep ownership and make the new owner change it when they buy it?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Not trying to make this thread go off-topic mhh, but do you sell your cars with the numeric plates still on them? If so, how do you keep ownership and make the new owner change it when they buy it?

Both times it was to interstate buyers. The plates are worthless to them. An SA buyer couldn't legally display the plates as only the plate owner has this right.

Offline CortinaD

Chuck the plastic plates on it and plead ignorance again

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
No, they went to Qld on the S65 a long time ago. Damn.

Hmmm, I've always transferred back to standard plates prior to the sale of a vehicle that I've had historical attached. What puzzles me is why the DTEI don't advise on what is necessary under these circumstances. According to their rules you shouldn''t have access to the physical plate unless it is currently allocated to a vehicle. On this basis they should have advised what you needed to do in the interim whislt waiting on the new plates to be made. Not to worry... Call then on Tuesday to verify your position with what is to be displayed in the meantime. Of course this is easier said than done when you have a shiny new McLaren in the garage.