Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The plates were ordered about 10 days ago. I'll just have to wait a couple of working days and they will be here. Bugger!

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

On Monday I registered my McLaren and paid stamp duty but the new plates haven't arrived. The car was delivered on NSW plates (registered to Trivetts) which are still on the car. Can I legally drive the car on the old NSW plates until the SA plates arrive? I'm concerned that a cop checking the NSW number will now see "unregistered" on the computer. I'm sure I can explain but I don't want to put it to the test.
so you paid SA stamps yet had NSW plates on the car?

why didn't they just place your 888888888888 plates straight on?

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

why didn't they just place your 888888888888 plates straight on?
LOL. :D

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
The plates were ordered about 10 days ago. I'll just have to wait a couple of working days and they will be here. Bugger!

I wouldn't be surprised if they were already there. The 10 business days for plate production has always been quite conservative from my experience.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
As long as you have the receipt and can prove you have ordered the plates, you should be able to drive without plates - I drove my E30 M3 without plates for the Eurofest and was pulled over by cops - as soon as they saw my Vic Club plates receipt, waved me on with no issues!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Cant find anything on SA Gov about it but Victoria says..... "While the registered operator is waiting for the plates to be made, general issue plates may be issued at no fee to allow the vehicle to be driven. There will be no fee to reassign the original plates to the vehicle."

Why dont you call a Police station in the morning? If they agree with Alvin grab their name and number just in case.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
This is what SA Reg basically say about making youre own plates out of paper, cardboard, etc.

Only plates made by an approved manufacturer comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act. Plates that are not made by a manufacturer approved by the department do not comply and can result in a Traffic Infringement Notice of up to $5000. Compliant plates are the reflective, metal embossed type shown on this site. They are available from a Service SA

Did a search to see if your NSW Plates were still registered. It doesnt look like they are, this was the reply.   
https://myrta.com/regcheck/pages/content/enterVehicleDetails.jsf           

Enter vehicle details. The vehicle details you have entered are not consistent with our vehicle records. Please check the vehicle details and try again.This service is only available for vehicles that were previously or are currently registered in NSW.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I elected for the plates to be mailed to me.  I'm guessing I'll get them Tues or Wed. I don't want to be stopped by police so I'll rest the car till then.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I elected for the plates to be mailed to me.  I'm guessing I'll get them Tues or Wed. I don't want to be stopped by police so I'll rest the car till then.

I love the first world problems you have MHH.

"Jeeves, which other supercar will I be forced to drive while I wait for my enormously valuable custom plates to be delivered for my newly purchased topless-supercar?"

:D
C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I love the first world problems you have MHH.

"Jeeves, which other supercar will I be forced to drive while I wait for my enormously valuable custom plates to be delivered for my newly purchased topless-supercar?"

:D

:D  It's a worry, isn't it. :D