Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
More interesting than breaking news, but thought i's share my observation.

Long story short drove from Slovakia to Austrian alps, GPS said trip should take 6 hours, took me 4 hours 40ish minutes, some of it went trough German unlimited motorways but not much. So basically I was speeding the whole way except for where fixed speed cameras were.

Didn't see one accident the whole way and everyone around in capable cars were speeding as well. Only saw one radar set up and this got me literally 10km from home.
Got done for doing 124kph in a 130 zone (well in fact when the "air is not so good" the speed limit drops to 100kph, I don't know how they deem it good or not good, but 14 degrees, sunny and dry somehow makes the air "not so good")

To be honest the only reason I slowed down to 124kph was because I was letting the car cool down before I arrived home. The fine was an on the spot 35 euro $46 fine. No demerit points or anything just the fine and a few snaps of the cops infront of the car. They didn't have a hissy fit like the power tripping aussie highway patrol officers, they didn't give a lecture for an hour explaining how man body's they have scraped off the floor from "exsessive speeding" and all that common sense mumbo jumbo... Actually one of their first questions was "how fast did you get it up to in Germany?".

So just now I was curious as to what their fatalities rate is. With their relaxed view on speeding and basically peanuts paying speeding fines, I was shocked that the road toll in Austria was only 378 deaths in 2007, with a population of nearly 9million legal residence (heaps more illegals and unimaginable numbers of drivers pasing through the country every year).

Quite clearly education has more to do with fatalities than nazi style speeding fines and demerit systems....

For those that don't know Australias road toll is about 1500 per year with only just over double the population. And Aus barely has any bad weather and dangerous roads compared to here.

When will Australias attitude to driving change, the proof is here and they still care more about revenue than actually saving lives.

As I said no new news.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
To really mix it up we all know about the German Autobahns, and how we always hear how they have a lower death toll than Australia despite their extremely relaxed approach to speed limits...

I'll put Germanys stats up as I haven't seen it actually workjed out in comparison to Aus.

Last year Germanys road toll was 4100, population is 82 million

Statistically if Australia had 82million people the road toll would be 6100 people even with our strict speed limit regime.

Drive to the conditions, not to the speed signs!!!!

End rant lol
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
When will Australias attitude to driving change, the proof is here and they still care more about revenue than actually saving lives.

Too late, as I say, it's a losing battle.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Long story short drove from Slovakia to Austrian alps....

And you didn't think to pull your phone out of your pocket at any point to take a pic?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What's going on here..?

Dude, I do a random ass Image search and your mug turns up. Happens all the time.......   :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Dude, I do a random ass Image search and your mug turns up. Happens all the time.......   :p

When you're searching for random ass, I am the best.

Results: valid.