Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

As soon as I can find 3 clear days in my diary, I'm going to visit the West Coast.  I've never been further west than Whyalla despite living in SA all my life.  :o

Here's my planned route.  Are there any "must see" things or places over there?

http://g.co/maps/n26be

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
I've done that trip a couple of times albeit in a 4wd and towing a campervan. Most of the coastal towns are nice but nothing too spectacular you really need a 4wd to appreciate/see what the west coast has to offer. Coffin Bay is one of the places you need a 4wd so is the case with most of the coast from Port Lincoln to Streaky Bay.

Most of the roads off the main route are gravel/sand even though a 2wd would suffice i wouldn’t take an exotic.

Streaky is a nice place the caravan park is on the beach i think there is accommodation in the pub in town though.

Tourism SA has some good info on things to do and where to stay.

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com

Offline CortinaD

Its not on your list but don't take the road to Bute, its nasty. I thought I would try it one day and nearly ripped the suspension out of my car

The flinders is a good drive approx 20 minutes before town and head towards Wilmington then Quorn and back to Stirling  as that road will see you hit some twisty stuff.

Port Lincoln Hotel is great but parking not so good. The marina apartments have ok parking, certainly better than the shopping centre style lot that the PLH provide. For a feed Sarin's is nice inside the PLH and The Marina is usually really nice. I haven't really ventured outside of these two places.

If you like Oysters, go up to Ceduna and go to the Oyster Caravan thats just out of town on the WA road. They are fresh as fresh and very very cheap.

If you want to get a good sense of scale of the bush fires from years ago, take the road up to Cummins and then break off to Eliston from there. The for a good hour or more you are driving right through where all the bush fire was. I drove through there about 6 months after and it was an eye popper. On the way back you could also check out the Ferry (Sea SA) that departs Cowell to Wallaroo.

95 is as best as it gets through the guts, 98 is at the majors Augusta, Lincoln & Ceduna.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Last time in Pt Lincoln I stayed at a Motel called the Hilton down near the Silos. I had the room closest to the beach, quite a nice room with a spa, excellent restaurant and off street parking. Then again the newish Port Lincoln Hotel has won Hotel of the year in SA.

This might give you a few ideas, Always wanted to go in a cage and check out a Great White up close.
http://goinoffsafaris.com.au/ The blog is kept up to date and is worth a look.