Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well, I didn't know about this.  :scratchchin:

If you have recently received an Infringement Notice you may apply for an Internal Review.

Victoria Police has the discretion, upon review, to withdraw an infringement notice and issue an official warning in its place.

Each application for an official warning is reviewed on a case-by-case basis with factors such as the circumstances, time of offence, weather conditions, traffic density and type of road/land abutting taken into account. For example, if you recently received a speeding fine but have had a good driving record in the past.

You can apply for an official warning if you:

Hold a current driver's licence, including probationary, or current learner driver's permit. 
Have not been issued with a speeding, other traffic fine or official warning within the previous two years.
Were caught doing less than 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.
Do not deny that you committed the offence.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=10369

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

Offline 98octane

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Drivers full of excuses

A WOMAN who claimed she was speeding because her new shoes were heavy is among thousands of motorists who have tried to get out of paying a fine.

New figures from the NSW State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO) show about one in 10 motorists penalised for an offence take the time out to write to authorities in the hope of gaining an exemption.

Of the 2.5 million fines processed by the department last year, 220,000 included a request for the offence to be waived.

Of those, 41,000 motorists had their fines withdrawn with a caution issued instead.

Among the more bizarre excuses given to the authorities included that from a man who claimed he put his foot down after a bee flew into the car.

Another motorist blamed his mother-in-law's nagging for him breaking the speed limit. The man said she was complaining about being late to a function.

One driver fined for parking in the wrong direction claimed he had simply followed the arrow on a parking sign. Another fined for stopping in a No Stopping zone said he had to let his dog out to relieve itself.

A motorist caught over the speed limit in a tunnel claimed he was driving fast as the fumes were making him feel ill.

Medical injuries were also often used by people as an excuse for breaking the law.

One woman fined for putting her foot up on the seat of a train claimed she had an ankle injury.

However, medical documentation supplied to the department revealed it was the other foot that sported the injury.

Another woman blamed minor eye surgery on one eye for failing to see a Stop sign.

However, the most common excuse given related to the wrong car being identified.

Drivers also claimed the car had been stolen at the time of

the offence. Of the motorists to receive an exemption, the excuses fell within the SDRO review guidelines.

The guidelines, updated last year, allow for drivers with 10-year clean driving records to have their fines reviewed.

Other circumstances taken into account for review include lack of experience, such as drivers on their L and P plates and cases of emergency.

NSW Office of State Revenue executive director Tony Newbury said people who felt they had been wrongly fined should check the guidelines to determine if they were eligible for an exemption.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24990620-13762,00.html

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
... but only if you're caught <10kph over the limit  :waah:

Which is near impossible as speed camera's in QLD are set 11km over the limit, and speed guns are 10% plus 1km over the limit

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Bob Such's speeding ticket legal advice on the House

A STATE MP has used his parliamentary position to seek information into the effectiveness of hand-held laser guns when he has been facing a personal court battle over a speeding fine, it can be revealed.

Long-serving independent MP Bob Such, a former Speaker and Liberal government minister, has been called to a pre-trial hearing next Monday at 11.30am in relation to the offence.

A trial date has been set for February 17, at 9.30am, in the Adelaide Magistrates Court.

Dr Such, who has represented the southern suburbs electorate of Fisher since 1989, was detected by a police officer travelling at 69km/h in a 50km/h zone on Oakridge Rd, Aberfoyle Park, on January 2 last year.

It can be revealed Dr Such wrote to then police minister Paul Holloway on May 23 last year, requesting a range of information about policies in relation to the use of speed detection devices in the same area as he was detected speeding.

In the letter, obtained by The Advertiser, Dr Such said he was writing on behalf of Aberfoyle Park "residents" and noted the Oakridge Rd location.

At no point did he disclose his personal interest.

In the letter, he asks the Minister if Police Commissioner Mal Hyde's instructions regarding the use of speed detection devices " `down slope' and at the `foot of a hill' are there to be ignored?"

Five months later, Dr Such moved a motion in Parliament to establish a select committee to inquire into the effectiveness of speed detection devices, particularly hand-held laser guns.

At no point during a speech on October 15 to the House of Assembly did he declare personal interest.

This is despite his call for the parliamentary inquiry to also examine if laser guns are "accurate, calibrated and tested according to national and international standards".

In petitioning Parliament for a select committee to be formed, Dr Such said the way an officer holds a laser gun "could influence the accuracy and therefore the legality of the ticket issued to the driver".

When contacted by The Advertiser, Dr Such said he was representing himself in his legal fight, but "I have been getting (legal) advice from three parliamentarians who are lawyers and one who is a QC" free of charge.

He said he felt "duty-bound" to challenge the speeding fine on "principle" because it was something the "ordinary citizen cannot afford to do". Dr Such admitted his case "prompted" the motion for a parliamentary select committee.

He did not disclose his speeding fine case to Parliament at the time because "I was not seeking to get some special consideration".

"I deliberately did not mention this in Parliament because I don't think it's appropriate," he said. "It's a huge issue, but I don't want to be using Parliament for my own personal benefit that would be wrong."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24994484-5006301,00.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline dkabab

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

When leaving Melbourne there are a series of flashing signs which I thought were simply stuck saying "TOO FAST!", but last time when mhh and I went through we wanted to see if they actually were just static, or actually did feedback - so he slowed down to the point where it told us were were driving safely or whatever... I don't remember the exact speed - but it was slow to the point of ridicule before they changed from being displayed as "TOO FAST!" :?

Offline dkabab

did you catch Prototype This tonight.... they developed a system where if you got angry while driving your car, it would cut power until you calmed down. when you were calm, the engine would resume.

i thought, now this is the worst idea ever, if my car was to cut power cos i was angry, it would only make the situation worse!!!!