Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

I've often read and heard that the Vic police are draconian when it comes to enforcing speeding laws, and that the tolerance for speeding above the limit is so small that it's only 1-2kmh. Therefore, why is that nearly all the trucks that I've seen on the various highway, Tullamarine, Ring Rds, Eastlink, Monash Fwy, don't seem to have a care for the speed limit and they seem to get away with it?

Are the police there focusing mainly on the inner suburban streets?

It's annoying to see all these trucks overtaking me, but I've refrained from going faster because of my perception that it's very strict in Vic. Is it??

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The Police don't tend to pull you over on the main Highways/Freeway as there are fixed Speed Camera's along those roads.

The Truckies know where these Cameras are and also know that unless you are doing silly speeds, the Cops generally won't pull you over on the Freeway due to safety reasons.

Mobile Speed cameras are always around as well and they "can" be set as low as 3km over the limit.

Out here they mostly leave you alone unless you are being silly. I believe a lot of it is Bluff though, as I see people doing way over the limit on country Highways and get away with it, but as I say to myself, the moment I hit the noise button there will be a cop around the next corner.  :?

Offline app

Are the police there focusing mainly on the inner suburban streets?

Not on my trips to Melbourne from Adelaide.

All the way on SA country roads, no incident. Past the SA/Vic border, cops everywhere and pulling people over all the time.

That was a little while ago. But as mondi said it looks like they have fixed speed cameras now on the highways and
freeways.

It's annoying to see all these trucks overtaking me, but I've refrained from going faster because of my perception that it's very strict in Vic. Is it??

I know people from SA without a single speeding fine from SA next to their name with at least one speeding fine from Vic.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Lately, there is a LOT of police activity around Keith/Bordertown.  I don't speed so it doesn't worry me but you need to take care in SA too. 

I saw a laser cop in Tailem the other day and apparently there was one in Coonalpyn on Wednesday.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Years ago, I was done just out of Horsham on my way to Melbourne at 104 and then same place, same cop, same speed on the way back.... :doh: :gnasher:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Nice trip to Moruya a few years back got caught both ways at about 120kph, radar guns 1k ahead of you, as you pass the cop just swings round and chases you dowm.

Offline pku

I drove Sydney - Melbourne 2 weeks ago on my way to Tassie, saw way way more NSW highway cars with 'customers' on the road including a couple of trucks which is unusual with the activity on UHF (wouldnt travel without it, even if its just a handheld), was amazed that despite driving that route fairly often Tomtom knew about a couple of new fixed speed cameras once I crossed the border into Vic. Didn't see or hear of another cop from the border to St Kilda (close to the ferry). Got off the ferry in Tas and saw 2 bike cops with radar within 20 minutes.

The week before in Melbourne in a hire car they had radar guys everywhere including hiding in a bus shelter and pulling in whole lanes of traffic for RBT on Punt Road. Had seen it before in Docklands .. will try and find a pic.

Back to Tassie in the morning by plane which is much easier, unfortunately may have to drive back again.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Been out for a quick trip around town to create some noise pollution............(new exhaust :p)

No less than 7 cops with customers by the side of the road in various parts of town!!   :? 

No Booze Bus though....... 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I drove Sydney - Melbourne 2 weeks ago on my way to Tassie, saw way way more NSW highway cars with 'customers' on the road including a couple of trucks which is unusual with the activity on UHF (wouldnt travel without it, even if its just a handheld).....

I've tried scanning with a 2 way to pick up intell from the truckies on the road ahead but it has never helped me. The cops can and do change direction so often, you can't bank on other road users to know if the road is safe anyway.

Offline schmik325

Its the speed cameras. They have a very low tolerance. I was done 107 in a 100 but i also know someone who got a 105 in a 100 zone fine.

They are all cleverly hidden as well and there are no signs like in NSW and QLD telling you the cameras are ahead.

If you drive the Ring road or East Link in Melbourne DO NOT speed. Also the road going to Geelong has plenty of Cameras too