Offline app

is it legal for car manufacturers to add on km on the speedometer to what you're actually doing?

i don't want to say what the car is as i want to focus on the legal issues not the car itself

for example if you want to actually go 60km/h, you have to make the car go over 60km/h on the speedometer

however, when it was taken to the dealer, i told him that the readings were inaccurate as cars were passing when driving at the "speed limit" on the speedometer. he said, the cars are manufactured to "add around 10%" to what you're actually doing to stop people from going over the limit. so if you wanted to go 60km/h you have to drive at 66km/h. but it's not always 10% extra, it's around 10% at different limits

personally, i think this is dodgy. i asked him if it could be changed, he said it couldn't

edit: i know car manufactures have to comply to laws etc. but i wanted to see what the general thoughts were about this issue. i think if it was exactly 10% at all speed limits, it wouldn't be so bad, but if it's around 10%, i think it's wrong and that there should be an option to have the speedometer so that it shows the exact speed limit.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

My speedo reads less.  Out by 4pkh when driving at 100kph, i.e. set at 100kph and was actually doing 96kph.  Backed this up on recent trip to Sydney both by Satnav in the iPhone and also I timed the 5km test section near Marulan in NSW.

I am led to believe thats why the Victorian government lowered the amount you can break the limit to 3kph to account for what the car companies did.  There are other factors IMO as well for example if you have higher tyre pressures as the circumference is greater wouldn't you go slightly faster and vice versa???  Food for thought.

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
My speedo reads less.  Out by 4pkh when driving at 100kph, i.e. set at 100kph and was actually doing 96kph.  Backed this up on recent trip to Sydney both by Satnav in the iPhone and also I timed the 5km test section near Marulan in NSW.

I am led to believe thats why the Victorian government lowered the amount you can break the limit to 3kph to account for what the car companies did.  There are other factors IMO as well for example if you have higher tyre pressures as the circumference is greater wouldn't you go slightly faster and vice versa???  Food for thought.

It's also good for the unofficial backyard 0-100 times when you are impressing your friends
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline dkabab

adr design rules state; the speedo can read + or - 10% to the actual speed. it also states that it cannot read less than the actual speed (in another design rule)

makes perfect sense to me

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
adr design rules state; the speedo can read + or - 10% to the actual speed. it also states that it cannot read less than the actual speed (in another design rule)

Does that mean the odometers car also be out +/-10%.
That means a 100,000km car could have actually done 90000km?
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline app

not to me, i want to drive at the speed limit and not have to worry about it

but since they choose what my speedo readings are "out" by on a car i bought, i have to use a gps to work out how fast i'm actually going

i think the whole thing is a load of nonsense and just causes some people to drive over the limit. i know it's happened to some poeple i know, they drive over the limit because they know the speedo reading is "out" but don't know exactly by how much - so in this case how does it stop people from going over the speed limit?

Offline dkabab

Does that mean the odometers car also be out +/-10%.
That means a 100,000km car could have actually done 90000km?

pretty much yep...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
My truck shows only 957,000km, but it under reads by 4.5%, so I think I'm actually a millionaire!

Offline Cuso

I has been proven that the current Subaru Impreza can show 118km/h on the speedo and an officer of the law stated it was doing 111km/h.  :thumbsup:

Offline CortinaD