Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

great colour combo,fantastic roads for your 1sr trip.
Thoughts Mark,compared to the 458?

Offline dkabab

Offline a.taylor

The road from Thredbo to Khancoban was a blinder - roof down and about 70km of mostly downhill with no white line but very smooth tar and plenty wide enough for passing.  Goobs had alerted me to this one and it was so worth the big detour.

Must have just been the traffic spoiling it when I did that stretch. I didn't enjoy it so much.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thoughts Mark,compared to the 458?

Everything feels different.  I'm too immersed in the Mac after an epic day of pretty much non-stop driving to make useful comparison. I never find myself thinking "this feels just like the 458"  Power isn't as instant but there's more of it and just when you think it is hauling, you see you have another 3,000rpm to go.  I can't imagine what is feels like to wring its neck.  The brakes aren't as instant either but I gave them a hammering coming down from Thredbo and no fade despite being steels and plenty of feel.   The seat is a snugger fit - my 458 has the seats too low I think after driving this.  I feel like I can see the road just a metre in front of the car in the Spider.  The Mac's steering is heavier with more feel but the 458 feels like it has harder bushes in the front end.  That could just be the trick suspension in the Mac distorts the feedback somehow.  Sound?  I'd rate them about the same - the Ferrari has more blare but the McLaren's noise is more sophisticated and complex. Ride, McLaren (just), Handing, Ferrari (just), comfort McLaren (just) - get the picture?  Neither has a huge advantage anywhere but they feel just *different*. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Must have just been the traffic spoiling it when I did that stretch. I didn't enjoy it so much.

I saw about 7 cars in 70km.  It was late arvo which probably helped.

Offline a.taylor

Ah yes.. much better. I think I was queued up behind 7 cars for most of it.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Everything feels different.  I'm too immersed in the Mac after an epic day of pretty much non-stop driving to make useful comparison. I never find myself thinking "this feels just like the 458"  Power isn't as instant but there's more of it and just when you think it is hauling, you see you have another 3,000rpm to go.  I can't imagine what is feels like to wring its neck.  The brakes aren't as instant either but I gave them a hammering coming down from Thredbo and no fade despite being steels and plenty of feel.   The seat is a snugger fit - my 458 has the seats too low I think after driving this.  I feel like I can see the road just a metre in front of the car in the Spider.  The Mac's steering is heavier with more feel but the 458 feels like it has harder bushes in the front end.  That could just be the trick suspension in the Mac distorts the feedback somehow.  Sound?  I'd rate them about the same - the Ferrari has more blare but the McLaren's noise is more sophisticated and complex. Ride, McLaren (just), Handing, Ferrari (just), comfort McLaren (just) - get the picture?  Neither has a huge advantage anywhere but they feel just *different*.
By all accounts then the Mac,is a worthy car to own as I'd imagine the 458 sets a high bench mark.

Offline the360

Congrats on the purchase very nice.

Safe driving, love it.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

if you are going thru Thredbo you can stay at my place

Thanks but I'd be worried about the girls knocking on the door at all hours.  ;)