Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I want to teach my 14 year old daughter how to drive - I could drive before I was 10 after all.   :eek:

I can go to my brother's farm a couple of hours away, but are there places where it is legal (i.e. private property) to practice closer to Adelaide?  What do others do - or do they all wait until they hit the road when they turn 16?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

In the lambo I hope!

Needs to be something with a clutch.  I've offered the MX5 or the 911.  She's keener on the Porsche....

Offline dkabab

i dont know of any training facilities, maybe there should be one! might be a good business venture, get the government on board.
maybe take her out to mallala on one of the private track days, and just let her do some very slow laps just to learn the controls and different corners. (that said im not sure if they allow passengers)

i learnt at 11, with dad letting me drive down the street and back in his rx7 turbo.... :confused:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

She's keener on the Porsche....

Hehe, I bet.

Is there any large carparks around that are deserted on the weekends???? Don't know if that is entirely legal either, probably not.

I remember back at High school(think I was about 15) there was a driving school that had a private track so it didn't matter if you had L plates or not.

I reckon the farm is always the go.   :thumbsup:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Is there any large carparks around that are deserted on the weekends????

Mmm..........we have to drive past a big one at Monarto.  I recall someone posting motokhana pics from there the other day.  If it is legal to motokhana it is probably legal to drive unlicenced there too.  Of course, the owner might not approve and it may be locked - but we'll check it out anyway.  :thumbsup:

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mmm..........we have to drive past a big one at Monarto.  I recall someone posting motokhana pics from there the other day.  If it is legal to motokhana it is probably legal to drive unlicenced there too.  Of course, the owner might not approve and it may be locked - but we'll check it out anyway.  :thumbsup:

yeah i know the Porsche club do the motokhana there and i have also seen Jap clubs doing other events like skid pans and stuff at that sma location.... but i THINK they are cams approved

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Not really designed for 14yos but a great training area that's local.

There's a learner practise area in Marion.  I believe it's a special area just to get use to intersections and roundabouts.  Only used by learners on the weekends.  Probably only 4 or 5 cars at one time, not busy but just enough to keep them wary of other users.  Just off Oaklands road.

For me personaly, the old man use to take me to Mallala.  Theres a dirt track just behind the main track.  Had practise there in his 'off road' track weekender car.

Best place to learn by far is in a paddock - for basic car control.

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Best place to learn by far is in a paddock - for basic car control.

For sure. We used to go up the Flinders alot as a kid & always drove V8's etc on dirt road's at a young age. Best way to learn car control. Always get into a car that is difficult to drive 1st & everything there after is easier :thumbsup: