Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Not really designed for 14yos but a great training area that's local.

There's a learner practise area in Marion.  I believe it's a special area just to get use to intersections and roundabouts.  Only used by learners on the weekends.  Probably only 4 or 5 cars at one time, not busy but just enough to keep them wary of other users.  Just off Oaklands road.

That's the Transport SA (or whatever DTEI call them now) Driver Training Facility at 237 Oaklands Rd Oaklands Park. It's also been used as a rally special stage for the old Festival State rallies (and may be used again as such in the future), so you can get a reasonable turn of speed on the course.

Try phoning them on 8374 5100 to see if early-drivers can use the facility. Failing them being helpful, try to see if something could be organised through school to use the facility, say as an elective or even a school holiday activity with classmates and understanding parents supplying cars (I also wonder if something could be organised through say a Jim Murcott or Tony Hastings type driver training operation through the school).

The Monarto course is the Woollies distribution centre yard, so would only be usable as part of a motorkhana type event organised through CAMS. They used to be held at Mitsubishi at Lonsdale and Tailem Bend until public liability became an issue. Using large carparks or industrial areas is likely to be risky, both from a liability POV, as well as from a police POV in that nowadays they may cruise through the areas checking for street racing etc..   

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Found this - a land development about 40 minutes from home.  No street names so I'm guessing is all private property.   If it isn't private property, all that follows didn't happen.  We had it to ourselves for an hour.

Junior can now start the car, put it into gear, drive off and change into second and third and back down again.  The clutch of a 911 isn't as easy as a Mazda so we'll try that next.  But real progress was made.  :thumbsup:

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Found this - a land development about 40 minutes from home.  No street names so I'm guessing is all private property.   If it isn't private property, all that follows didn't happen.  We had it to ourselves for an hour.

Junior can now start the car, put it into gear, drive off and change into second and third and back down again.  The clutch of a 911 isn't as easy as a Mazda so we'll try that next.  But real progress was made.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Now class 2.... heal and toe with some drifting  :D

My first driving experience was at our property at sellicks beach, had a track that went round the property was given my aunties auto WRX, with an uncle or older cousin as passenger would just take it easy round the farm.... Didn't learn manual till early last year when i was 17 :doh: 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

That's the Transport SA (or whatever DTEI call them now) Driver Training Facility at 237 Oaklands Rd Oaklands Park. It's also been used as a rally special stage for the old Festival State rallies (and may be used again as such in the future), so you can get a reasonable turn of speed on the course.

Thanks Si.  I'll check it out.  I can't imagine they will allow under 16's in there though.

Offline dkabab

is she enthusiastic about driving mark?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

is she enthusiastic about driving mark?

She's 14.  She's not enthusiastic about anything - that I can comprehend at least.  :doh:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

She's 14.  She's not enthusiastic about anything - that I can comprehend at least.  :doh:

Even Boys???    :eek:

I have 3 sons and I just don't know how I would have been with a daughter. I would want to kill any boy that looked at her side ways.   :?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I have 3 sons and I just don't know how I would have been with a daughter. I would want to kill any boy that looked at her side ways.   :?

You start off like that but, after a while, you'll buy a beer for the first one that will take her off your hands.  :o

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
You start off like that but, after a while, you'll buy a beer for the first one that will take her off your hands.  :o

haha!

My middle one is a girl..... but at age 3 and a bit she already has it all sorted out......

"Boys have stinky bums daddy"

I guess it'll change soon enough.....  :scared:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I had access to an old grey Fergie on the farm next door.

the clutch was a cone type... so it was IN or OUT... taught me how to control it early on!

Hand throttle took some learning and dual rear brake pedals were fun to turn quick.

Then I was in a Triumph 2000 at age 12.

I had a Renault 12 soon after that we kept at family house 2 hour drive away... dad took it in as a part ex... it had shot main bearings and he drove it 2 hrs on the road anyway to get there... gave a traffic cop the shock of his life as he backed off the throttle along the motorway then floored it right alongside where the cop was giving a ticket to someone!

The R12 lasted well... banger raced it with a mates Peugeot 404 and volvo 144 for 2 years and didn't stop using it until the fuel filler neck was so squashed I couldn't put petrol in anymore!

oh, and goats ate the interior!

Those years are huge memories for me, and as a parent, I'll really try to give my kids the same opportunities I had.Just this week, my 5 and 3 year olds steered my Getz around the garden while sitting on my lap.

The 5 year old can do it with no help, even the 3 year old only needed pointers.