Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

I learned to drive in a shopping centre carpark (they were probably a bit quieter back then) and actually got pulled over whilst doing it, I was in the car by myself trying to reverse park it whilst dad was standing nearby watching, when the police saw me they actually thought I may of stolen the car. They had a chat with dad and told me to carry on learning, I was age 15. Don't know if they would have a different outlook these days.

and you're still only 4 foot 3 now!  You must have looked like you drove home from kinder :tilt:

Offline XTREMEIND

Give me first option if you start to dabble in real estate please.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50561/parents-more-concerned-with-connecting-than-teaching-proper-road-rules-nrma

NRMA Survey: Parents Failing As Driving Instructors

In a turn that will have Mark Skaife crying "I told you so,"  a new study by NRMA in NSW has found that many parents are more concerned with ensuring a 'positive experience' than teaching their children the rules of the road.

Surveying 413 supervising parents, the study found that 51 percent of respondents were more concerned with making their child's time behind the wheel a "positive experience," while a frighteningly-small 38 percent of respondents felt that a strong knowledge of the correct driving techniques was important.

On a more positive note (though not by much), 46 percent of parents surveyed agreed that having up-to-date knowledge of road rules is important.

As might be expected, the vast majority of respondents (93 percent) said they had supervised just one or two drivers in the past three years.

While 85 percent of respondents rated their driving ability as an eight, nine or 10 out of 10, only 52 percent were familiar with the RTA NSW learners' manual, and even fewer (37 percent) had recently refreshed their knowledge of the road rules.

The survey follows a special television piece prepared and hosted by former V8 Supercar champion Mark Skaife, in which he called for governments to cut parents out of the driver training process in order to stop young motorists taking on the bad habits of their parents.

Quote from: Mark Skaife
"With the best intention in the world, too many parents pass on their own bad habits. We have to avoid that, which is why I believe we need to move to professional driver trainers in Australia"

Offline hydie

Would you guys let your kids L plate in your exotic?

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: WYSIWYG
I'm lucky.

She can't press the heavy clutch in.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://www.news.com.au/national/learner-drivers-allowed-to-speed-drive-with-one-hand-stall-vehicle-and-still-pass-test/story-e6frfkvr-1225891019422#ixzz0tWk09ZNp

Learner drivers allowed to speed, drive with one hand, stall vehicle and still pass test
By Robyn Ironside

* Allowed to speed 5km/h over limit five times
    * Can stall six times, steer with one hand
    * Driving examiners angered at changes

LEARNER drivers will be allowed to speed up to five times during their driving test and still pass under a new testing regime in Queensland.

Speeding was the leading cause of death on Queensland roads in the past year but it will continue to be permitted during the practical tests following a state government review of the assessment process, The Courier-Mail reports.

The new criteria, coming into effect on Monday, means drivers can travel at up to 5km/h over the limit on five occasions during the 30-minute test. At present they are allowed to exceed the limit by up to nine per cent three times during a test, before failing.

The Queensland driver test also allows examinees to stall six times before failing, steer with one hand on six occasions and fail to indicate six times. Drivers can also fail to start the engine five times and pass.

The changes have angered driving examiners, who question why there should be any tolerance for speed during a licence test.

Transport and Main Roads statistics for the year until the end of May 2010 show 58 people were killed as a result of speed- more than drink-driving (54), fatigue (40) or not wearing a seat belt (46).

Professor Barry Watson, from the Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety Queensland, said even small increases in the speed limit could double a person's crash risk.

"There has to be some scope for tolerance (in a driving test) but we want to keep them to a minimum," Prof Watson said.

"If the tolerance is too high people might learn the wrong lesson from the test. The wider concern is if the public perception is it doesn't matter if you speed on your test."

The review of the licence assessment was undertaken last year after The Courier-Mail revealed the generous tolerance margins for speeding afforded to drivers being tested.

A TMR spokesman said the new model was "consistent with other states and provided more clarity".

This is despite the TMR categorising speed as one of the "fatal four" and pushing the slogan "Every K over is a killer".

"Anyone driving at a speed which would attract a fine from police, automatically fails their exam," the TMR spokesman said.

"It still recognises the margin for error of digital tachometers and the angle of distortion for driving examiners sitting in a passenger seat."

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said changing the driving test built on the Government's plan to target speeding among young drivers.

"A combination of measures to reduce speeding is having a real impact on the road toll," she said.

"It's down 30 per cent on last year."

Opposition transport spokeswoman Fiona Simpson said the changes sent an inconsistent message.

"It just seems to be quite a confused message - on one hand telling the broader public they're not going to tolerate the (speeding) margins and on the other allowing drivers to go over the limit during the test without failing."

Prof Watson said some tolerance was needed for "anxiety related errors" but reviews of the test were a positive move.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
i love how the people that make up the rules for driving are the guys who don't hold a license themselves

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/stop-parents-teaching-kids-to-drive/story-e6frea83-1225897191245

Stop parents teaching kids to drive
TOM ZED

PARENTS do not have sufficient driving skills to teach their children how to drive properly and should be banned from doing so, nearly half of respondents to an RAA survey believe.

The state's peak motoring body surveyed 1332 members and found more than 47 per cent thought parents should be banned from teaching their children to drive.

More than 49 per cent said they did not have the skills required to teach a learner.

The survey was conducted following calls last month from V8 Supercar racer Mark Skaife for parents to be barred from teaching children to drive, as a means of improving road safety.

Skaife said too many parents passed on their own bad driving habits to their children.

RAA manager of mobility and safety Wendy Bevan said it was not practical to ban parents from instructing their children.

"Instead, they should be supported to ensure they have the confidence and the skills required to teach a learner driver how to drive correctly," she said.

"The results of this poll clearly shows parents are in need of additional help and support when it comes to teaching their children to drive."

Dimitra Norton, of North Adelaide, has booked driving lessons for son Alexander, 16, and herself with qualified driving instructor Jeff Lane, of Riding and Driving Schools.

"I think it's a great idea for parents to be able to go with their kids and a professional because that teaches the parents as well what the right thing to do is.

" I'll feel a lot more confident teaching Alexander after having done that."

Alexander said he thought a combination of lessons with a parent and a qualified instructor was best. "You definitely do need an instructor's perspective on how to learn to drive," he said.

The RAA supports the national keys2drive initiative, which offers a free driving lesson for learners and a parent or supervisor with a qualified, accredited driving instructor, and provides tips for parents about how to mentor their children and avoid passing on bad habits.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

I want my kids to be taught how to drive, NOT just how to pass the driving test.

Until I see an instructor that does that properly, I'll do it myself.

Regardless of anything, I'll teach mine how to operate a car to a high level before they get anywhere near a road.

Offline AdminAG

• All the news that fits to pixels

• Drives: Traffic
Lowndes backs driver training

Five-time Bathurst winner Craig Lowndes believes bad drivers should attend compulsory driving lessons and driver education should start at school.

By Mark Hinchliffe

Image: Teaching kids to drive

Lowndes says driver education should start in schools and should continue throughout a driver's life.

He's joined by a majority of his fellow V8 Supercar drivers and other motorsport identities.

"I'm lucky enough as a race car driver to be constantly learning new skills," he says. "But the general public just use a vehicle to go to work and holidays and the habits they learn at the start they carry through life and never get any more training. Current fines and penalties are not working as they should on repeat offenders. They need education."

His sentiments are mirrored in a survey of racers in all forms of four-wheeled motor sport released today by the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS).

The CAMS survey of 1999 members found 59 per cent in favour of education as the way to deal with bad driving records.

CAMS president Andrew Papadopoulos said the survey found one in five wants tougher driving restrictions for repeat offenders, 9 per cent think jail is the solution and 6 per cent say they should face tougher fines.

"The Australian motor sport community is spot on with this," he said.

"People who continuously break the law need to prove they can be safe drivers before they are allowed back on the roads.

"A structured and controlled driving education course is the perfect way to help make sure these repeat offenders do the right thing.  And prison on its own is not always the answer, because as soon as the offender exits, their driving skills will be exactly the same as when they entered.

"We are strict on learner and P plate drivers when they are first starting out, but as soon as they achieve their full licence, maintaining the driving education aspect is all but forgotten."

Lowndes says driver education should start in schools and should continue throughout a driver's life.

"We get an education for life, but if people want to drive a road car, you just pass a car test and that's it," he said.

"There should be ongoing education throughout our driving lives. City people don't learn how to drive in the country and compensate for bad roads, wildlife and wandering livestock and country people don't learn how to deal with traffic and pedestrians."

CAMS recently launched a young driver education program, CAMS Ignition Program, which focuses on a learner driver's attitudes.

"We give young people the chance to drive a vehicle and gain invaluable experience before obtaining their learner's permit," Papadopoulos said.

"This initiative will enable young people to develop skills and attitudes which will enhance their knowledge, but more importantly, reduce their crash risk on public roads."

He called for the federal government to introduce and fund a national rollout of the course to all secondary schools.

Source: http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-news/lowndes_backs_driver_training