Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
On a shared path approaching a walker or runner from behind at speed, that would be most of the time.

exactly

spokey dokes are the answer...

BUT, if the person doesn't hear you because they have their earphones in and/or too loud... then its their bad luck.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

What I dislike most about cyclists is them riding on busy roads in peak hour traffic.  I drive down one of Melbournes busiest roads (Springvale Road, 3 lanes 80kph limit).  Quite often this one cyclist basically takes up the left lane causing a huge traffic flow problem.  They should ride on the footpath at these times IMO.

Offline 98octane

I run every week. About 1 in 20 cyclists ring their bell when they overtake me from behind on a shared path. The vast majority of cyclists I see on shared paths are inconsiderate.

I use my bell for 25%-50% of overtakes, more so at night for joggers and outside the CBD.  That said, there are few joggers and walkers on the shared path during my commute.

In the city, a bell often causes pedestrians to act erratically - they freeze, scatter in all directions, veer into your path, ignore you, abuse you, block you, etc. Many don't hear the bell at all - the iPhone/oblivious brigade (lots of these). Lots of tourists too.

Offline dkabab

i asked a few friends a while ago about an idea i had and got the following response.

Q - what if the government had a purpose built track through the hills giving cyclists a safe route to cycle without cars, but still have all the hills and flats they would get riding up norton summit etc...

A - Some will use it, but some love the thrills of mixing with cars. they ones that are the problems will stay problems.

Offline 98octane

What I dislike most about cyclists is them riding on busy roads in peak hour traffic.  I drive down one of Melbournes busiest roads (Springvale Road, 3 lanes 80kph limit).  Quite often this one cyclist basically takes up the left lane causing a huge traffic flow problem.  They should ride on the footpath at these times IMO.

I agree with your point about traffic flow. Cycling on Springvale Rd during peak periods is suicidal and inconsiderate.  It's too fast, congested and narrow and has no shoulder or bike lanes.  

I choose backstreets and bike paths for safety, speed and to minimise traffic disruption. But not everyone has a bike path to choose - but usually there are suitable back streets.  I used to ride from G/W to Mulgrave daily using backstreets (no direct bike path available) - much better than Springvale Rd.

Footpaths are not the answer though - it's not safe and it's very slow.

For commuting, we need more bike paths or dedicated bike lanes.  Relatively cheap to build and gets more cyclists (and therefore cars) off the road.

For more serious recreational cycling, cyclists will continue to use roads, but everyone needs to stick to their lanes and road rules.

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

i asked a few friends a while ago about an idea i had and got the following response.

Q - what if the government had a purpose built track through the hills giving cyclists a safe route to cycle without cars, but still have all the hills and flats they would get riding up norton summit etc...

A - Some will use it, but some love the thrills of mixing with cars. they ones that are the problems will stay problems.

That sounds about right. On the weekend going up Eagle on the Hill, a cyclist decided it was a good idea to play chicken with the car by riding down the up track on the wrong side of the concrete divider. They have a choice of two down hill lanes, either the dedicated bike lane, or the down hill car lane, but still chose to take the most dangerous way.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David

I proposed a route for this once before
Coach Road, Ridge Road, old norton summit road, bishop street
It all links to Norwood Parade, perfect!
Coach Road is blocked now but it wouldnt take much to reopen it and keep cars out
The other roads its just a small section, and theres an alternative, close them except for local residents, put speed humps that effect cars but not cyclists

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

The old eagle on the hill road is much like that

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Do I dare post "That" photo, it is a bike thread after all!     :tilt:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Do I dare post "That" photo, it is a bike thread after all!     :tilt:

Go on!