Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

So true. And the b*astards cant be bothered riding on their bike path in St Kilda so they ride on the runners path !!!!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/today-i-saved-a-cyclists-life-not-that-he-cares/story-fni0cwl5-1226920501835

ya know, I'd never thought about it like that....well, not consciously, but this guy's absolutely spot on.

I'm still staggered that cyclists would rather ride on the skinny laned busy roads like Alexandra Ave near my  place, when there's a perfectly good bike path 50m away running parallel to the road.

It's very nice of the car drivers to save the cyclists lives, day in day out, but why the cyclists keep trusting them to do so, I have no idea.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

So true. And the b*astards cant be bothered riding on their bike path in St Kilda so they ride on the runners path !!!!

I don't mind bikes on the road, but I hate them because they rarely use their bells on shared paths. If we road runners were half as organised as the cyclists, we'd have the shared paths dug up and replaced by cinder tracks.

Offline 98octane

I ride 150-200km per week.  About 50/50 roads and shared paths.  A vast majority if the cyclists I see are responsible, sensible and predictable.  The rare ones that aren't include some peleton riders on Beach Rd and ninja cyclists on shared paths and city streets (no lights, dark clothes). No different to the ratio of good and bad drivers.

Offline 98octane

As for ringing bells on shared paths - it depends on the circumstances. You don't use your car horn when overtaking. I use my bell only when the path is narrow or curving sharply, when people are travelling two abreast, children, dog owners, very dark spots at night etc. But for normal overtaking, I just give plenty of room and ride straight past.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I ride 150-200km per week.  About 50/50 roads and shared paths.  A vast majority if the cyclists I see are responsible, sensible and predictable.  The rare ones that aren't include some peleton riders on Beach Rd and ninja cyclists on shared paths and city streets (no lights, dark clothes). No different to the ratio of good and bad drivers.

I run every week. About 1 in 20 cyclists ring their bell when they overtake me from behind on a shared path. The vast majority of cyclists I see on shared paths are inconsiderate.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

The correct use of horn/bell is to inform relevant traffic of your presence if you think they may not be aware of you.

Its not an "excuse me".

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The correct use of horn/bell is to inform relevant traffic of your presence if you think they may not be aware of you.

On a shared path approaching a walker or runner from behind at speed, that would be most of the time.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

On a shared path approaching a walker or runner from behind at speed, that would be most of the time.

I called Australia Post when a postie on a motorised bike went past me from behind with no warning on a shared path , bikes do it sometimes quite dangerous if the person on foot veers sideways for any reason.