Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rockfalls-mudslides-prompted-fears-of-great-ocean-rd-collapse/story-e6frfku0-1225987087303

Rockfalls, mudslides prompted fears of Great Ocean Rd collapse

By Ryan Reynolds

THE Great Ocean Road in Victoria could be closed for days after rock slides and heavy rain caused havoc on the famous tourist route yesterday.

Part of the road between Lorne and Wye River was reopened last night, however it could be days before the road is allowed to take traffic to Apollo Bay, the Geelong Advertiser reported.

Police had earlier closed off a 40km stretch of the road between Lorne and Skenes Creek at 10.36am after large landslides in the area.

It is believed authorities fear unseen landslides between Kennett River and Wongarra had the potential to cause the road to collapse. VicRoads said in a statement that the full extent of the damage won't be known for a number of weeks until the water had subsided and a full assessment could be completed.

It is also believed a plane or a boat may be needed to check the safety of the road, with the Wongarra stretch featuring some of the highest cliff faces on the drive.

The tail end of the weather system that devastated parts of Queensland has been blamed for the chaos after it dumped 58mm of rain in Apollo Bay, 50mm in Lorne and 46mm in Airey's Inlet in just 24 hours.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

On the last drive I did along there we were dodging big rocks on the road - great fun! I hope they fix it soon.

Offline 98octane

On the last drive I did along there we were dodging big rocks on the road - great fun! I hope they fix it soon.

Every time I go there, there are rocks and soil on the road around Wye and Kennett Rivers.  Just need to keep your eyes open.  They've had one section down to one lane for many months so they can repair/seal a rockface.  Was often a ~30 min hold up, so I preferred going through the Barwon Downs route instead.

Offline GeorgeBW

• Leave death a burnt out castle

• Drives: AM Vantage Roadster, Merc E Class Cab
Just about to take my Roadster down the GOR. Will be heading off with much anticipation and a scarcity of points - any tips/location of cameras etc?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Just about to take my Roadster down the GOR. Will be heading off with much anticipation and a scarcity of points - any tips/location of cameras etc?

You need to take care everywhere.  I was lasered just east of Skene's Creek but you'll see moving radar along its length.  What was it you said about machinery?

It's a fabulous piece of road - but do you have a destination or is it just a drive?  If the latter, think Tassie too - less traffic, equally good roads.

Offline GeorgeBW

It's a fabulous piece of road - but do you have a destination or is it just a drive?  If the latter, think Tassie too - less traffic, equally good roads.

Heading out from Mornington Peninsular to Apollo Bay - have two nights there as a base. Tassie hmm ... this car does most things just hasn't learnt to swim ...

PS What do the cops use for unmarked cars? If it's like Qld, could be anything?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Heading out from Mornington Peninsular to Apollo Bay - have two nights there as a base. Tassie hmm ... this car does most things just hasn't learnt to swim ...

PS What do the cops use for unmarked cars? If it's like Qld, could be anything?

George, the Tassie ferry costs less than the speeding fine + lawyer.  :p  Take a look around the forum for some drive stories down there.

VicPol drive anything and everything.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Don't mean to be a wet blanket but if you are going to drive the GOR just don't speed.

It is a hunting ground cos' they know they can get an easy score.

Offline 98octane

Offline GeorgeBW